Unofficial Leeds United - Home

Visit the Chatroom

andyl Show full post »
Tony Currie10

Both agree and disagree with above 2 posts....

I agree that we WON'T sign another CB but disagree and think we SHOULD. ...

Surely the time to add to a squad to be even more competitive is when we are doing well? Players will WANT to sign for us then!?

Yes, we've got the best record of not conceding goals but that doesn't mean it will last. What happens if Ben White gets recalled or injured? If we go with just Coops and 5'6" Beradi, then BOTH WILL GET INJURED AND SUSPENDED....that's without them having a loss of form as well.

Title winning teams need competition and a squad where a player can come in seemlessly....haven't we been here before and run out of steam!?

Why wait until we have a poor run to change it?

We have to be PRO-ACTIVE....

FISHCURRIE PROMOTIONS WORLD CUP 2018 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....

GLENN HODDLE IS THE FUTURE....

LAST MAN STANDING WINNER 2018
EURO U.21's 2017 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
DIMNEST POSTER 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020....
EURO 2016 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
3rd PLACE WITH HOLLAND IN ULUFC WORLD CUP SWEEPSTAKE 2014....
JOINT WEIRDEST POSTER 2014....I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me....I think
LeedsPremChamps2020
One word answer for you mate, Bielsa.
andyl
With Bielsa , for all his fabulous football, you have someone who is nearly 100% loyal to his core squad. You end up with great stability and the players knowing exactly what is asked of them. Downside is that any new player has an exceedingly difficult time getting in the first team unless there are injuries/suspensions.

I think this is his Achilles Heel and may cost us promotion again this season.

For this reason alone I don’t see any additions during January however much some of us think we need to. I just hope at the end of the season it’s not another case of “what if”.

I had a dream last night that we get promoted in record early time. The caveat to this is that we also finish second. Totally logical🙄
LeedsPremChamps2020
andyl wrote:

I had a dream last night that we get promoted in record early time. The caveat to this is that we also finish second. Totally logical🙄

possible, if us and WBA win every game left and they beat us, we finish second but know we have won promotion in February...

get on that as a bet 🤣 
Soopaleeds
AndyL

It's actually also possible if Leeds go on a massive run but with another team staying within touching distance - get mathematically clear of third by the end of March then go to sleep and get pipped to the title by the team that was second when we secured promotion.....
Everybody has a story to tell.     That's why I hide at home [facepalm-smiley-emoticon]
PapaSmurf

andyl wrote:
With Bielsa , for all his fabulous football, you have someone who is nearly 100% loyal to his core squad. You end up with great stability and the players knowing exactly what is asked of them. Downside is that any new player has an exceedingly difficult time getting in the first team unless there are injuries/suspensions.

I think this is his Achilles Heel and may cost us promotion again this season.

For this reason alone I don’t see any additions during January however much some of us think we need to. I just hope at the end of the season it’s not another case of “what if”.

I'm not sure I agree that it is an Achilles heel. The smaller squad means players are less likely to get disillusioned or disruptive as they are more likely to get game time. And MB compensates for suspensions and injuries by prioritizing on players who can play multiple positions. Only the goalkeepers, Bamford, Cooper and White are single position players. Added to all that is the knowledge he can always drop into the u23s, I'd be confident Davis, Bogusz and Gotts are ready now, they've spent the last 18 months playing his type of football. The secret is to ensure there's quality throughout the squad rather than quantity. Given that White, Costa, Nkeita and Meslier are a step up on Janson, Saiz, Roofe and BPF, there's every reason to expect more from this season. Either way, he knows more about football than I ever will, or indeed than most of the fans and analysts.
andyl
Fair points Papa.
That Bamford as you say is a single position player is ours and Bielsa’s weakness. He loves the guy and our promotion is in both their hands.
The worry for me is that we don’t have a slot in replacement. Eddie is not the same type of player.
I really hope Bamford starts firing soon. If not Bielsa’s faith in him might cost us.
PapaSmurf
andyl wrote:
Fair points Papa.
That Bamford as you say is a single position player is ours and Bielsa’s weakness. He loves the guy and our promotion is in both their hands.
The worry for me is that we don’t have a slot in replacement. Eddie is not the same type of player.
I really hope Bamford starts firing soon. If not Bielsa’s faith in him might cost us.

I'd agree that Bamford is the weakest link and I wouldn't be adverse to an upgrade, but hard to see it happening.
LeedsPremChamps2020
PapaSmurf wrote:

I'd agree that Bamford is the weakest link and I wouldn't be adverse to an upgrade, but hard to see it happening.

Reportedly Eddie was a 5 million year loan. Bamford was a 7 million purchase. It’s better for Leeds if we concentrate on keeping Eddie as we’ve been told ffp prohibits big purchases and if you’re expecting a big money purchase (as would be needed by all accounts, strikers are the most expensive after all), if his loan is that high what do they actually value him at????? We couldn’t buy that even with QSI money!!!!!!
I don’t think you’re looking at the big picture at all!
We haven’t seen Pablo for a long time, we know his quality, Forshaw is close to back and was one of the stand outs at the start of the season. Roberts is showing signs of the player we hoped we had signed.
The ONLY business I see being probable is Clarke returning to Spurs to be reloaned elsewhere that haven’t got 6 loanees like we have. There will be no replacement.

This will all change if there is any long term suspensions or injuries. What we want (extra CB, Striker or whatever) doesn’t fit the current scenario and I would prefer to let Marcelo do his thing, he is entertaining me like no other has in a long damn time!!!!!!!
BB
From my Arsenal "Friends", Eddie was a £2 million loan fee deal with us paying his wages of approx £18k per week.

They value him less now as Martinez has been doing so well and is in front of him in the striker queue. It is likely they will send him out on loan next season too.

In Jan expect Clarke to return to Spurs, Meslier to be made permanent and a loan for a wide player cum striker.

I take my hat of to MB, who would have thought that 16 games in, we would not miss Pontus?

BB
Belgiantoo
Fully agree that White in terms of defending and football ability is an upgrade on Pontus (who i rate as a v. good defender/player at this level) So yes, didn't expect White to be that good, do feel we still lack the heading ability of Jansson in defence and attack.
Eddie has done well, certainly in terms of goalratio and actual minutes on the pitch, but otherwise he's very much an underused player. This despite our main striker going through a very barren patch (1 goal, a pen. in what 10 games?).
Not doubting there's more to come from Nketia.
About Costa, think most fans expected a lot more from him, but other than a few flashes he hasn't been able to live up to the expectations. 
Meslier, now i'm very openminded, but reality is that he's been on the bench and playing reserve team football thus far.

Biggest concern/issues remain that we've got little to no chance of getting White and Nketia permanently.
And the 15M for the Costa we've seen so far seems an awful lot of money.
Would rather see us invest 10 - 12

Belgiantoo
...Would rather see us invest 10 - 12M on a couple of players during the January window, rather than splashing out 15M on a player who to me often looks like something of a "luxury".
bite your legs
If the investment comes in from QSI our first bit of business should be a deal to sign Ben White permanently, a goal scoring wide man next Jarrod Bowen would be ideal,not much more needed as we have a fantastic core of players around 23 and under.
andyl
Send Clarke back to Spurs, free up a place and try and persuade Dwight Gale to come here. Got a feeling though he’s Baggies bound and will help fire them to the Premiership.
BB
Gayle's knees are knackered which leads to other injuries - calf + hamstring. Did well last season but bringing in players from past memories is not always sensible. Would be a huge financial risk as barcodes know they can get at least £1.5million loan fee + the club to pay at least £40k per week of his reputed loan fee. This for a guy who has been injured most of this season and not pulled up any trees when he has been fit.

If we keep Eddie, he is not needed. Patrick will come good.
BB
Tony Currie10

I'm not saying this is the answer, but if we haven't got much dosh to spend in January, would you take Kodjia and Ayala on frees/loan til the end of the season and just splash out on Bradley Dack, who would be a lot cheaper than Bowen....

Edmundson is not gonna get a chance and would Kodjia and Ayala fit our style of play? Only putting them forward as no transfer fees will be involved and they are PROVEN Championship players. ...

Don't just dismiss these players and give viable cheap options to them....

We need something as i don't think he'll gamble with our youngsters making debuts in the New Year....

Bielsa probably won't change the squad anyway! !

JOINT WEIRDEST POSTER 2014....I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me....I think
LeedsPremChamps2020

Tony Currie10 wrote:

We need something as i don't think he'll gamble with our youngsters making debuts

really? That’s exactly what I think he will do unless it’s a long term injury we don’t have decent cover for. He won’t get another CB whilst HE is happy with Beradi and Ayling. He won’t get a RB when we have Ayling and Dallas. He won’t get a LB when we have Dallas, Alioski, Douglas and Davis. He won’t get a DCM when he is happy to let Forshaw drop in there (if he ever comes back) and it appears from reports he is willing to use Ben White there this weekend. Maybe even a youngster in this spot? He won’t get a LW when we have Alioski, Harrison, ?... well, you get my point that HE feels he has multiple cover for every position with a full squad. Maybe striker is a bit short but don’t be surprised if he is needed that Edmondson gets a game or two (max). 

you want Dack, you drop Hernandez to be an impact sub and Roberts doesn’t play when back. You get Ayala in and drop who? He won’t come here to sit on the bench, he needs to keep his career moving not stall.
its not as simple as “we want this player, so that’s who we get” when, not least, Marcelo wouldn’t play a player he didn’t ask for, he’s proven that before and you’d probably damage the clubs relationship with him if you do something he doesn’t want.

either you trust MB or you don’t. If you don’t he walks, we know that. 

Soopaleeds
Talksport rumour mill tonight

£13M for Ivan Toney.....
Everybody has a story to tell.     That's why I hide at home [facepalm-smiley-emoticon]
thackleywhite
Soopaleeds wrote:
Talksport rumour mill tonight

£13M for Ivan Toney.....

LOL i heard that is well. It's just adrian durham spiuting shii-te as usual.  There is now way in a month of sundays that our 'spend' crazy' chairman will spend £13,000,000 on a third division player!

Soopaleeds
I thought it was hilarious. He's not a bad player but £13M.....
BB
TC - Dack, Kodjia and Ayala?

Come on guy! Have a bit of style and aim a little higher.

None would suit our style of play and none would turn out to be a good signing for LUFC.

Did you not watch Ayala just hoof the ball out of play each time he was threatened when we played hem this weekend. No skill and no class. A slightly younger version of Butler without his "ball playing" ability!

Dack is OK at Blackburn but the ER crowd would crucify him. Watched him a lot when he played for Gills and he was never outstanding. Not is the same league as Pablo, Klitch, Roberts and even Shackleton. No real creativity but a goal poacher in a side that likes to play long and put high crosses into the box at every opportunity.

Kodiija - 1 good season in 5 does not make a PROVEN Championship player! A strike rate of 1 goal every 3 games really is nowt to boast about and his dodgy ankle is unlikely to allow him to play regularly.

I would not go for Gayle either or Kamara. There are better out there so I am sure VO and MB know more about what we need than me and all of the other keyboard warriors. 
BB
andyl
I started this thread definitely wanting reinforcements in January, now I'm in two minds.

Maybe it's our winning streak but it doesn't look quite so critical.

Having said that a couple of injuries and we might regret not strengthening. 

Bielsa has his team where he wants them to be I believe. We are a better side all round than last season, winning more scrappy games, which will hopefully help big time in the last couple of months. All the players have improved and the early break for Pablo will hopefully see his legs last the season.

One or two additions waiting in the wings would not harm and on balance could be an asset come March/April when they have had time to fit into the Bielsa way.
LUID
Only add quality and if available at right price (less likely)in January.
tonylufcagain
Is the loan and guarantee to buy in the summer rule still available?
Tony Currie10

Oh jeez here we go again....

Rads will be loving our present winning form as it means he's got an excuse not to buy....

Board members will be blinkered by it as well....

I keep saying we WILL get injuries, we WILL get suspensions and players WILL suffer a loss of form....

I'm not saying spend millions and FFP wouldn't let us anyway....

2/3 players for the spine of the team surely can't hinder our run!?

We need to build WHEN we're doing well and not wait until after the horse has bolted....

Soopaleeds
The risk is upsetting the applecart TC.
Bring in a couple of players as backup and they need time to fit into the system (or worse don't really want to) - the effort and disruption is worse than not bothering.
Think why Pontus went - now that decision makes utter sense, but at the time it was defensive suicide.... 

More to the point 2 more players have made their debuts in the last week - the U23 guys are starting to see daylight

It has to be the right character(s) at the right position to work and that's not easy, hence the Victor Orta line that only 25% of January signings are a success.
LeedsPremChamps2020
Tony Currie10 wrote:

I'm not saying spend millions and FFP wouldn't let us anyway....

2/3 players for the spine of the team surely can't hinder our run!?

We need to build WHEN we're doing well and not wait until after the horse has bolted....

what 2 or 3 players would be better than we have in u23, for our positions needed extra cover and wouldn’t cost millions?
ffp is at the wire we have been told (5 million for Eddie wasn’t it? That’s a 3rd of your yearly budget there!) and no one is selling us someone who could step into a Bielsa set up and be useful for tuppence ffs!

i don’t see a point in keeping dragging this up when VO, AR and AK have all said we aren’t looking at January business, it’s like wanting a 3some when the Mrs says no, just let it go!
ishotamancinreno
I know it was only a snippet (that’s not a northern dog,Tony!!). But the young kid at CB looked the biz! Give him a bit more game time and he is a solid defender in reserve. Plenty cover in midfield ..Really I’d only get another striker or promote Edmundson in which case if he does ok then we don’t need anybody . At worst a striker.
.... WHEN I WAS JUST A BABY
     MY MOMMA TOLD ME  'SON,
     ALWAYS BE A GOOD BOY
     & DONT YOU FOLLOW SCUM'
     BUT I SHOT A MANC IN RENO
     JUST TO WATCH HIM DIE!!!     

PapaSmurf
I don’t see any point bringing anybody in during January, unless it’s to sign Meslier to a permanent contract. As it is, MB isn’t going to play a new signing, they will just be ornaments, sitting on the bench - if they are lucky! Whilst White walked into the first team, look how long it took to integrate Costa into the squad, and he arrived oven ready. Nketiah doesn’t get much game time, Clarke gets virtually none. Harrison had to do his apprenticeship last year. We all know how MB works. Any plunge into the transfer market will be counter productive and hardly worth the headaches it brings.
stevethemouse
Unless it’s messi or zlatan no ta
thevoiceofreason
Nah,no point.... you never get the players you really want in Jan.... would rather trust in the youngsters if/ when we get injuries and suspensions.

Wait until next summer and go for Erling Haaland if we go up..... 👍
Peterlufc
Expect we will lose Clarke and Eddie
Eddie did not look interested in u 23 game and did not get on against Hull.
Difficult to get young striker who will not play from Prem
We need cover for Bamford
More likely an out of favour senior player is more likely
Would try and get Keenan Davies from Villa
stevethemouse
Edmondson can play the bamford role
BB
Ryan is not as mobile as Patrick nor is his hold up game anywhere near quality. He is still very young (18) so there is a lot of learning still needed.

He also is not renowned for his pace. If Eddie goes back, we need a different alternative to young Patrick. Someone with devastating pace and the ability to create something from nothing. 

If I was Eddie's dad, I'd tell him to stick with Leeds and learn for Marcelo. Johnson and Parker are not the guys I would be trusting my son's education. Yes, he may get game time but all he would learn is Championship/L1 football. He is managed by one of the world's greatest managers now and will learn how to be a Prem footballer more at LUFC then anywhere else.
BB
PapaSmurf
I don't see Eddie going anywhere. This is just speculation by fans recalling what happened with Blackman and Baker and making 2 and 2 = 5. The situation is completely different. Nketiah has already racked up 14 appearances this year, including 5 goals - despite being injured. That's hardly the record of somebody not in Bieslas plans. Until I hear otherwise, I'm treating this as fan fiction.
thevoiceofreason
Arsenal have already said they are happy for him to stay here,they know he is in good hands with Bielsa.... and there is half a season left yet and lots of games ..... he will get another chance
stevethemouse
As shown today Eddie is only a no 9 fox in the box is all he is brings nothing to the team
BB
Think MB will go for 3 players - A CB, No4/No8 and a Striker.

The £1.2 million + we get from the Arsenal game will helps us land 3. Meslier to be made permanent as JC and Eddie return to their parent clubs giving us 2 spaces for quality loans. So other has to be a signing. 
BB
PapaSmurf
I don't think there will be any signings apart from Meslier being made permanent. And maybe a youth player or two. I'd expect that will be the lot.
BB
Clarke deffo going back to Spurs, Eddie is torn in 2 minds unless Arteta is ready to give him a chance in the first 11 (unlikely).

Will learn more from MB than Johnson or others (from Arsenal sources) so they want him to stay with us unless Mickel thinks he can play for their first team in 2nd half of season.

Meslier unlikely to be a perm signing in Jan as his buyout is meant to be £4.5 million. (Lorient turned down a £9 million bid for him earlier) but will be signed if we get promoted. If we do not and Kiko leaves in the summer then he will be made permanent. But that means KP will go as we will need the funds from his sale to get him + Costa.

Still think MB will get 3 players - CB, No4/8 and a striker/wide player who can also play up top.

BB
andyl
Come The January sales we will need a book on “how to deal with crosses” for our keeper
Soopaleeds
I hope we give meslier a run out soon - whether it's enforced or not - Kiko still makes me very nervous....
BB
Still hearing we will go for 3 players - A CB/No4, No4/No8 and a Striker/Winger/No 10.

If Eddie stays it will be a winger/No10. If Forshaw is fit we wont go for a No4/No8 so only 2 incomings. But we will go for someone who can play CB and No4.

If Kikos ban is 12 matches we will go for a keeper, if it is 6 then Meslier will do the job if he is OK v Arsenal.
BB
andyl
A replacement for Nketia.

I’m hoping we’ve already done our homework.
EveryManJack
Wonder would Olivier Giroud fancy six months up North?

thevoiceofreason
Lets face it,Bielsa is not short of admirers all over the world...... so who ever he sets his sights on,as long as he's available would be mad to turn him down because it's a win win situation.... we get cover for Bamford and the incoming Striker gets to work with one of if not the best coach in the world right now... 😎
EveryManJack
And yet that very argument wasn’t enough to keep Eddie.

BB
Arsenal want him to get guaranteed game time. MB or VO would never agree to this. A Club like Bristol City probably would as Eddie would effectively take the place of Afobe, who is unlikely to be back until the tail end of the season.

We need to move on and bring in a striker early so he can work with MB for a while before, maybe, being needed. Perhaps not a kid like Brewster who is totally unproven in men's first team football nor Sharp who has been here and failed already. Cannot see Saints letting Adams go out on loan unless they bring in another striker so it is slim pickings. Tosun/Kean from Everton are not being used often by Everton. I just hope VO gets something done early so there are no last day surprises like James!

KunT has not been playing for the U23s recently and Ryan does not look mobile enough to fill in for Bamford + his hold up play is nowhere near the right level now.

BB
PapaSmurf
BB wrote:
Arsenal want him to get guaranteed game time. MB or VO would never agree to this. A Club like Bristol City probably would as Eddie would effectively take the place of Afobe, who is unlikely to be back until the tail end of the season.

We need to move on and bring in a striker early so he can work with MB for a while before, maybe, being needed. Perhaps not a kid like Brewster who is totally unproven in men's first team football nor Sharp who has been here and failed already. Cannot see Saints letting Adams go out on loan unless they bring in another striker so it is slim pickings. Tosun/Kean from Everton are not being used often by Everton. I just hope VO gets something done early so there are no last day surprises like James!

KunT has not been playing for the U23s recently and Ryan does not look mobile enough to fill in for Bamford + his hold up play is nowhere near the right level now.

Your knowledge of the u23s is better than anybody else I know, though I do think a fit Kun could do a job.

I think it's a waste of time getting in another premiership loan player as we know how MB operates, by the time they are match ready, it'll be Easter. And UK forwards are too ridiculously expensive. So that just leaves the continental marketplace.

Mind you, I don't think MB would blink twice before using Harrison or Roberts up front.
BB
It has been reported MB likes to have 30 training sessions with a player before he thinks he is ready. Get players in early and they can contribute from Feb onwards. 

I hope VO does not wait until end of the month to bring in players.

We will get back 40%+ of the £3 million loan fee we paid to Gooners for Eddie and his wage of £20k per week is now available. Clarke will also see us saving circa £20k per week from his wages (Not sure if there was a "loan fee" agreed as I am sure his loan back to us was part of the original deal) and if we can get O'Kane, Buoy out on loan too be could save a further £5k per week (We would have to pay most of their wages) and hopefully sell Coyle for £250k-£500k. That enough funds for a couple of more than decent loan signings. 

We need a winger/No 10 type and another striker with hopefully a commanding CB (Not Ayala as he has no ball playing ability). Would settle for Meslier in goal even if Kiko is out for 12 games but is more likely to be 6.

Fulham will strengthen in Jan as will Forest, Owls, Baggies, Swansea, Bristol City, Cardiff and even Brentford.

Villa went from mid table mediocrity to the Prem by having a good Jan last season and Blades brought in strikers which helped them to automatic promotion.

AR cannot miss this opportunity by not investing in the team. By my reckoning we brought in approx £29 million this summer and only spent about £8 million in loan fees. I know we have used some of this pot to fund new deals for players like Phillips, Klitch, Cooper, Dallas, Ayling etc but there must be some money from the summer left in the pot.
BB