Unofficial Leeds United - Home

Visit the Chatroom

Unofficial LUFC

Author   Comment  
Daniel2

First Team Player
Reply with quote  #1 
So watching the last 5 games I been trying to work out why we have been under performing and think perhaps that the side is not balanced right now. What I mean is having Dallas, Costa, Harrison, Hernandaz and Bamford all playing at the same time the right combination and balance. Is having Klich playing in the deeper role the right balance in attack and defense. 

For me I would go with Harrison on the left wing and Dallas on the right wing with Hernandaz coming on for the last 30 minutes of games. I would push Klich higher up into the number 10 role and coming off around the 60 to 70 minute mark.

Player like Shackleton & Gotts who are neat and tidy little pit bulls who nip at the heals of the other teams midfielder are needed while a true holding midfielder is needed.   

Also think that our defense needs sorting as Alying has been woeful while defending but okay going forward while the ever changing left back position has caused endless issues. White game has dropped since he played that one game at CDM while Cooper has been his normal 6 out of 10 per game self.

While we have only lost games by the odd goal and we have enough chance to win games easy the balance just does not seem right.

What say others???
andyl

New Signing
Reply with quote  #2 
White is the obvious one. Strange how it doesn’t work when he moves into midfield, didn’t he used to play there?

For me it’s Bielsa’s insistence on using the same players and his trust in the regulars that is the issue here.

Agree Klich needs to play higher up the pitch and Pablo is no longer a ninety minute player unfortunately.

Pablo is our biggest problem. We don’t have anyone who’s close to him in skill and judgement and age and fitness has caught up with him. If he was 3 years younger we’d pis.s this league.
Belgiantoo

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #3 
Excellent points from you both.
MB is persisting with playing Dallas in CMF,  which has led to him being far less effective than say at full-back or wing-back. 
He's been taken out of his comfort zone and looks lost in there.
Put Dallas in front of Ayling and the defensive side and balance of things will be much stronger. If chasing the game, we can bring out Costa for the last 20-odd minutes. For me Costa is a luxury player and he'll have as good a chance in 20mins (against tired defenders) to show his pace/skill.
Wether he plays 90 mins or 20,  most games he'll just have those couple of moments of brilliance. 

Have also seen Klich having to play more of the holding role (even more so with Philips suspension) and dropping deeper to get on the ball.
We miss his movement in and around the box, last season he made lots of runs into the box and scored quite a few, that thread has virtually disapeared.
Fully agree with giving Klich 70-75mins, then sent on a pair of fresh legs (Shack or Gotts).

Pablo's age seems to have caught up with him a bit , the niggling injuries haven't helped matters.
Still has silky skills and quick feet, and is still rather fast over the first few yards, but has lost a yard of pace (especially of a longer distance and when chasing back).

Left full-back situation remains an issue, Douglas (a lot was expected from him) hasn't made the spot his own. He has been injured quite a bit and i for one haven't seen a great deal of the promised array of passes/crosses/setpiece deliveries. Lack of pace doesn't help either.
Alioski at left-back also has his flaws/shortcomings.

White's still a very good player, but his performances have taken a slight knock.
He looked a rock before, was untroubled, pocketed his opponent and then some...

Add that to a goalkeeper who's not suited to championship (English) football and a striker who can't score on a regular basis...

In truth i'm somewhat surprised we're still up there, but certainly not surprised we blew the 10 or 12pt lead we had.
Writing was on the wall in the games before the bad run started, i felt the team needed help.
I mean we played teams of the park, had chances to win multiple games but we still struggled to get a result over the line (we even drew games we had won, true selfdestruction).

We lack a bit of leadership on the pitch and players with 'the over my dead body mentality'. The team cried out for those kind of qualities.
It remains to be seen if Poveda and Augustine (once fit) can get us back on the road. 

Danish Leeds Fan

1st Team player
Reply with quote  #4 
Agree. THE lesson unfortunately not learned from last season is the problem of tiredness and our far too narrow squad. And playing Dallas, White and others (Klich) out of position, instead of taking the chance with the youngsters when the regulars are injured. And therefore effectively never widening the squad.
haworthwhite

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Leeds Fan
Agree. THE lesson unfortunately not learned from last season is the problem of tiredness and our far too narrow squad. And playing Dallas, White and others (Klich) out of position, instead of taking the chance with the youngsters when the regulars are injured. And therefore effectively never widening the squad.

For all the supposed talent in the u23s we have seen very little of them in the First Eleven. MB, at some stage is going to have to trust them, at that time is now. To give one of the bench warming youngsters an hour or so every game could pay dividends. New blood, new ideas might just kickstart the rest of the team who are looking extremely jaded. Our coach seems very stuck in his small squad ways and hasn't learned from last seasons meltdown, as another beckons.

Season after season it's always the same, no matter who is coaching. Bad or incompetent owners with journeymen players.

But 15 to go! Anything can happen, as this is Leeds.

thackleywhite

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #6 
Bang on Haworthwhite......"Season after season it's always the same, no matter who is coaching. Bad or incompetent owners with journeymen players".

Nothing will change until we get a different owner in my opinion. Yes Radrizzani has done a great job in making Leeds Utd financially viable.  We don't watch leeds to admire their financial accumen do we?

What did he say 5 years? 

Daniel2

First Team Player
Reply with quote  #7 
Thackleywhite, Owners in the championship are hand tied by agents and the rules set in place by the league. While we have not really spent much money on players transfers and have brought in (sales) something that basically balances the books in each off season transfer window we must remember that our wage structure is somewhat higher then it has been in the past 10 years. There are some players on serious money in our team and their individual performances do not match the weekly wage in my mind. Money need to be generated by some revenue stream and at this point in time it is only coming from Players departures.

Back to the topic of Balance.

Bamford playing as a lone front man, Is this a problem? Could having 2 players up front be a better solution?

The left full back position is something that has been a merry go round type situation this season. We have had Douglas, Dallas, Alioski, Leaf Davis (where is he now?) all have games there. this continuous changing has to cause all sorts of issues with the LCB and LW players as they are forever trying to build a relationship and understanding which leads to that half second of hesitation when defending.

Against Arsenal Gotts looked comfortable playing in the midfield next to Phillips. Both Shackleton and Gotts have that little dog with a bone type attitude and their energy and activity in both attack and more importantly closing down in defense is better suited to our current side. This will allow Klich to focas more of his movement in the front 3rd thus freeing up space for our wide men.

Belgiantoo

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #8 
Davis is injured (think about a month out afer a knee-operation).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.