Unofficial Leeds United - Home

Visit the Chatroom

Unofficial LUFC

Author   Comment  
andyl

New Signing
Reply with quote  #1 
.....to get us out this league.

I feel slightly sacrilegious posting this but it’s the question that’s bugging me the most.

It is not in question we are playing some of the best football witnessed in generations but is it going to get us promoted?
I really believe we could cut it in the Premiership but at this level with all the intensity that comes with league, do we have the right methodology to succeed?

The main issue for me is an over reliance on the same players. Only Millscum have used less players. It seems it’s harder to get out the first team than it is to get in. Casilla would have been dropped long ago in any other side.

I hope what we have and what we are doing is just enough to get us over the line.

My head says unfortunately we will come up short.

Come on Leeds, prove me wrong please.
Soopaleeds

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #2 
It's obvious to me - has been for a while. His style is better suited to the Prem, not Wigan and Millwall on wet Tuesdays....

Unofficial Shortarse
Reply with quote  #3 
The old 4-4-2 with a 3-5-2 chucked in not doing blunts any harm
LUID

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #4 
Great coach but not sure about manager given the fall-off again around same time of the season. Let's hope he can turn it around this year in the last 15 games. Tuesday's team will tell us more of how he sees it.
Peterlufc

New Signing
Reply with quote  #5 

Possession is not the holy grail.
goals are.
Crossing to no one will not get goals.
lots of possession and movement in front of a well set up defence does not tire the opposition bu t the team making all the runs in midfield.
If that team passing is not perfect they lose the ball without any danger.

we see lots of games where the team without the ball is more dangerous as their space once it is turned over.
Bielsa will /can not change now 
The only hope is some change in personnel will bring a change in fortunes and then confidence.

Playing same 11 players and playing several out of position has cost us dearly since Christmas.
in order of changes I would like to see.
Philips back 
JKA up front

Meslier in goal

this will change spine of team
Costa Alioski Casilla out.

Arguable whether Douglas should play has been average at best when fit.
poveda or Pablo who was off pace last two games is another possible 
as is Shack for Klich who has not influenced games or scored much

But I do not think 5/6 changes would benefit team and damage fluidity.

Our main hope is getting JKA to be playing like a £30m striker who will win games so he has to start even if he is good for 60 mins at moment.

Tony Currie10

Bi-Sexual Cockney Twat!
Reply with quote  #6 

It's a real tough one concerning Kiki being dropped....

In HINDSIGHT we should have got someone proven for the Championship like Darlow or Westwood on half the wages....

The only thing about young Meslier which hasn't been mentioned is that he WILL make mistakes as a youngster and then we'll be on HIS back!

ALL keepers, especially the youngsters, will go through a bad patch.... even the top keepers like De Gea do!

Toughie....

FISHCURRIE PROMOTIONS WORLD CUP 2018 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....

GLENN HODDLE IS THE FUTURE....

LAST MAN STANDING WINNER 2018
EURO U.21's 2017 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
DIMNEST POSTER 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020....
EURO 2016 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
3rd PLACE WITH HOLLAND IN ULUFC WORLD CUP SWEEPSTAKE 2014....
JOINT WEIRDEST POSTER 2014....I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me....I think
andyl

New Signing
Reply with quote  #7 
I have a horrible feeling Bielsa’s stubbornness/methods will cost us again this season.

Can he change things? I suspect not.

I’m back to more hope than expectation now and that’s a reverse of what I was thinking at the beginning of the season.

I thought using Nketia more would get us more goals but he didn’t get a chance really. Will Augustine get a chance? Blimey, we need something to get or season back on track. Everyone in the league now senses blood. Brentford tomorrow will show if anything’s different.
icelandic white

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #8 
it seems like our attacking players do two thing to much and that is. Players choose the wrong passing, and try to take on to many players. when you have 3 players agenst you it might mean that some one is in better location for scoring goals or create one

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #9 

I don’t know why Dallas wasn’t played at LB against Forest, he would have stopped Lolley cutting in on his favoured foot like he did a few games ago Against... can’t remember 😂 

I don’t think the panic we are seeing is measured against our position more our history.
we aren’t a bad team, we dominated the first half of the season pretty much, and we have just got to hope the form turns around because there isn’t much to be done about it changes wise (agree on Meslier, he earned at least a run of three games on the back of his performances not just in the u23’s but the arsenal game). I also agree Alioski needs to be a bench impact at the moment, his consistency has never been great but it’s dropped off recently.
costa is another beast altogether, he won’t get better at our style (10 opposition players in the box every time we attack) from the bench, he’s shown he has the talent to play counter-attacking football, now he needs a season of Bielsa style like every other player did before he ”gets it” like the others do now, we have to hope he does enough between now and May imo.
JKA being used against Forest was a HUGE concession by Marcelo, let’s hope he gets a few more sub appearances and starts to get his mojo going to displace Patrick or Bamford himself sees he has competition and it lights the touch paper on one of his famous ‘streaks’. 

either way, after Brentford we have a better run of games to come and hopefully will get a little run together to lift EVERYONE!

BB

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #10 
In answer to Andy's question - A HUGE YES

I remember the sterile, impotent football we played under Monk, Evans, Heckingbottom, Redfearn et Al. It was hard to watch and I lived in hope we may create a chance. It's different now, I love watching us play.

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #11 
I remember that football too BB

The sad thing is we've gone big financially to bankroll this attractive stuff and if we don't get up next season we'll be back to those days again.

We all want to keep on enjoying this style, but without the results it'll be gone forever after the next 15 games.

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Currie10

It's a real tough one concerning Kiki being dropped....

In HINDSIGHT we should have got someone proven for the Championship like Darlow or Westwood on half the wages....

The only thing about young Meslier which hasn't been mentioned is that he WILL make mistakes as a youngster and then we'll be on HIS back!

ALL keepers, especially the youngsters, will go through a bad patch.... even the top keepers like De Gea do!

Toughie....

Great post Tony. You're right, we've had a succession of keepers anecdotally need stability.

MB was also right when he said it was a hard job being keeper at Leeds. The way we play with our CBs much further forward than other teams means the keeper has to be on top of his game. And our keeper may have let in some howlers but he's also made plenty of match saving performances.
thackleywhite

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #13 
Yes!  Bielsa has coached an avergae bunch of players who played poorly into an average bunch of players who play very well......

but can not score goals!  A decent striker was a 'must' before the season started.  But Bamford does not take all the blame.  The whole team need to step up in terms of goals as all the lot of em don't contribute enough.

I don't think there is much worong (if anything at all) with our formation. We retain possession and we create chances.  Our problems are overall lack of quality, poor conversion rate and poor goalkeeper.

Keeper can be sorted straight away.  The other two are chronic and not quick fix problems alas.

tonylufcagain

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #14 
OFF TOPIC.

Shooting from left field, Jurgen Klinsmann resigned as coach of Hertha Berlin, bit of a shock, they backed him in the January market too. 2+2= 5, MB upstairs or planning to save the season. What's his style. If we lose tonight something is going to happen, sack or walk, just have this nagging feeling.
thebagpuss

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
In answer to Andy's question - A HUGE YES

I remember the sterile, impotent football we played under Monk, Evans, Heckingbottom, Redfearn et Al. It was hard to watch and I lived in hope we may create a chance. It's different now, I love watching us play.

Exactly how I feel - I haven't 'enjoyed' watching us for a long, long time (probably back to O'Leary) compared to this.  Fantastic football, all players pulling in the same direction, the city behind the club again.  The recent form is obviously a concern, but I believe we will come good again.  The 'blip' is a lot earlier this season than last, and we're still (at time of writing!), in second.  When we get the odd break, I can see us going on another good run.  Let's look at the Forest game.  Widely acknowledged as one of our poorest games?  BOTH of their goals were gifts - individual errors (not something that Bielsa can coach unfortunately).  When was the last time we got a gift?  Our best chance saw us what?  a cm or two away from Coopers header going in?  I'm not saying we deserved to win, but it shows what fine margins we are dealing with.  We are still competing in every single game, with us being the better team in the vast majority.  We will come good again - just hope it;snot too late (and not confident tonight!!)
LeedsPremChamps2020

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #16 
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/why-marcelo-bielsa-isnt-feeling-any-promotion-pressure-leeds-united-daniel-chapman-1418438
GregLUFC

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #17 
Yes... he is the man. 
The main man.

We are in a weird position though.
We have a manager who would wonderful in the Premier League. Our best manager since Howard Wilkinson. Easily.

Yet we have him whilst stuck in this league. And this league isn't perfect for him.

There isn't a better manager out there for us anywhere in the world. I truly believe that. 

Losing him would be catastrophic. 

Whatever it takes, we must keep him.  

However he takes us up, I am convinced that he will. We will get the points we need to go up.

But we NEED him. If he goes... then I don't see us going up any time soon. 

Great manager. Frustrating at times... but a truly great one.
ishotamancinreno

First Team Player
Reply with quote  #18 
Great to see you back on here Bro... well worded, your post fills me with enthusiasm again. I have been wobbling this last week or so.
     & DONT YOU FOLLOW SCUM'
     BUT I SHOT A MANC IN RENO
     JUST TO WATCH HIM DIE!!!     

ishotamancinreno

First Team Player
Reply with quote  #19 
deleted double post..
     & DONT YOU FOLLOW SCUM'
     BUT I SHOT A MANC IN RENO
     JUST TO WATCH HIM DIE!!!     

stevethemouse

Unofficial Shortarse
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylufcagain
OFF TOPIC.

Shooting from left field, Jurgen Klinsmann resigned as coach of Hertha Berlin, bit of a shock, they backed him in the January market too. 2+2= 5, MB upstairs or planning to save the season. What's his style. If we lose tonight something is going to happen, sack or walk, just have this nagging feeling.

And potochino? Ex spurs boss in the crowd
Bull Thick With Drink

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #21 
Agree TBP

two mistakes by us against forest and last night by Kiko

You cant blame the manager for those dropped points

I said to a mate of mine yesterday afternoon that id take a point against Brentford, he (the greedy barsteward) wanted all 3

But do you know when sitting in his house at 10 o clock last night we both felt that it was 2 points dropped, all these ON FIELD mistakes are adding up and if it continues it will only be a matter of time before others capitalize. Yes MB picks the team and he could have dropped kiko and played meissler instead but even after Kiko's howler the players continued to play the ball back to him, which to me shows the players themselves still have confidence in Kiko. Mistakes happen i accept that nobody on here is suggesting that Kiko is doing them deliberately but in a nutshell we have 10 points from the last 30 and thats down to the fact that we are struggling in BOTH BOXES. Conceding poorly at the back and not converting very decent opportunities up front.

But one thing for certain WE ARE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAM WITH KALVIN IN THE TEAM THAN WE ARE WITHOUT HIM, the man was the best player on the pitch by a country mile last night and if we dont go up this season he is Premier League bound regardless

Lastman Standing Champion 2014 Lastman Standing Champion 2012
LUFC Prediction League Winner 2009/2010

LeedsPremChamps2020

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #22 
Marcelo Bielsa......

78 games as head coach of LUFC.
Never once been outside the top six,
and only 15 games outside the top two.

Win rate over 50%, we’ve never had it so good
Tony Currie10

Bi-Sexual Cockney Twat!
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsPremChamps2020
Marcelo Bielsa......

78 games as head coach of LUFC.
Never once been outside the top six,
and only 15 games outside the top two.

Win rate over 50%, we’ve never had it so good

Quality LPC and can't believe 'fans' want him out....we only need tweaking!

Think what his stats would have been with Darlow and Gayle....

FISHCURRIE PROMOTIONS WORLD CUP 2018 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....

GLENN HODDLE IS THE FUTURE....

LAST MAN STANDING WINNER 2018
EURO U.21's 2017 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
DIMNEST POSTER 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020....
EURO 2016 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
3rd PLACE WITH HOLLAND IN ULUFC WORLD CUP SWEEPSTAKE 2014....
JOINT WEIRDEST POSTER 2014....I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me....I think
icelandic white

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #24 
what I am afraid of happening is that he will listen to the negative and walk away

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Currie10

Quality LPC and can't believe 'fans' want him out....we only need tweaking!

Think what his stats would have been with Darlow and Gayle....

Gayle would never have gotten a game under Marcelo BUT what I wouldn’t give to have Ollie Watkins in this squad or if we are dreaming ‘pieinthesky’ then Pukki would get 25 goals in the last 10 games playing for us.
Where we are from where we’ve been has been a rapid turnaround due to everything at the club. We’ve gone from 12th-15th each season (under monk we had one season in the sun) to not being outside the top two for two full seasons except at critical points, is due to MB and his ethos and unbending ideology, it has its quirks but you take the rough edges with the smooth football.
Orta has used our budget in ways that should pay dividends but we won’t know until the season is over.
Radz has doubled our wage bill, obligated the club to make purchases in the 10’s of millions, remember a couple of years ago when we broke the million mark for the only recently left Luke Murphy! Or the season under Cellino where we splashed 100’s of thousands and barely looked at the millions mark.
We are unrecognised from the sham of a club just 4 seasons ago and I understand fans want better constantly but just let those simple points sink in, this has the chance of kick starting the juggernaut of Leeds, we are missing key elements from a brilliant squad but it is what it is, these lads or a new set under probably a different coach. Let’s just enjoy this gift for the rest of the season, nothing said or done will change a single thing now so enjoy the football, the ethos and the passion. If results transpire that we end up being caught, having a negative outlook will only be compounded, last year was a kick in the teeth but before a ball was kicked in anger u see MB’s reign you’d have taken it even with that loss, it showed we CAN do it. We’ve added in key places so we can go one better, we just have to enjoy the moment and release the pressure everyone, club, players and fans are feeling.
andyl

New Signing
Reply with quote  #26 
Yep we have never had so good. For some time.

However, I don’t want to end the season still in the Championship reminiscing on how we watched great football at times but for one or two decisions we would have made it to the Premiership.

I hope we don’t look back and wish Casilla was dropped ( about a month ago ) Down to the manager.

I hope we don’t look back and wish we had got in a proven striker. Down to the club.
I hope we don’t look back and say “ if only the manager didn’t stick to the same players”

Bielsa football is great to watch and I am greatfull I have seen it but ultimately if we don’t go up it will be a failure. We seem , at this club, to revel in glorious failure over the decades. It’s about time we had something truly brilliant to celebrate .
thevoiceofreason

Seasoned Pro
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsPremChamps2020

Gayle would never have gotten a game under Marcelo BUT what I wouldn’t give to have Ollie Watkins in this squad or if we are dreaming ‘pieinthesky’ then Pukki would get 25 goals in the last 10 games playing for us.
Where we are from where we’ve been has been a rapid turnaround due to everything at the club. We’ve gone from 12th-15th each season (under monk we had one season in the sun) to not being outside the top two for two full seasons except at critical points, is due to MB and his ethos and unbending ideology, it has its quirks but you take the rough edges with the smooth football.
Orta has used our budget in ways that should pay dividends but we won’t know until the season is over.
Radz has doubled our wage bill, obligated the club to make purchases in the 10’s of millions, remember a couple of years ago when we broke the million mark for the only recently left Luke Murphy! Or the season under Cellino where we splashed 100’s of thousands and barely looked at the millions mark.
We are unrecognised from the sham of a club just 4 seasons ago and I understand fans want better constantly but just let those simple points sink in, this has the chance of kick starting the juggernaut of Leeds, we are missing key elements from a brilliant squad but it is what it is, these lads or a new set under probably a different coach. Let’s just enjoy this gift for the rest of the season, nothing said or done will change a single thing now so enjoy the football, the ethos and the passion. If results transpire that we end up being caught, having a negative outlook will only be compounded, last year was a kick in the teeth but before a ball was kicked in anger u see MB’s reign you’d have taken it even with that loss, it showed we CAN do it. We’ve added in key places so we can go one better, we just have to enjoy the moment and release the pressure everyone, club, players and fans are feeling.

Spot on 👍

We are where we are because of one man.... And that man is Bielsa.No other Manager would have got us challenging for Automatic promotion with the 'average' squad he has at his disposal..... He doesn't have a prolific striker,he doesn't have a world beating defence and he has a Goalkeeper who is for whatever reason,suffering from very low self confidence..... Yet here we are still in the top 2 and very much in the race for promotion.... I for one would not swap Bielsa for any other manager!

Because i don't believe any other manager could have,would have or will get better results with this squad at his disposal.... The wins will start coming again and Bamford will get his confidence back... as for Kiko,it really is a tough one.... There is no question that he does have quality but his confidence is absolutely shattered and He could really do with being taken out of the firing line for the good of his career... i don't like some of the comments he is getting,although i understand fans' frustration he is in a bad place right now and comments like: " you are sheeite", "useless tw@t", and "sell him" are just compounding his problems... I hope Bielsa does give him a rest for a few games to get the fans off his back and help get his confidence back.... 👍

Football is a team game and everyone,the players,coaches,management and fans need to work together... not against each other... We need the feel good factor to return to Elland Road and there is no better time than right now to get that back and hopefully go on a winning run starting against Bristol on saturday 😎
Soopaleeds

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #28 
Balance required here: usually in short supply with fans.....

There's plenty to be grateful for with Bielsa's style - criticising him and pointing out his limitations does NOT mean we all want him to leave....we might just want him to make the tweaks that can get us where we all want to be.
There is equally no mileage in all the blind love and positivity when clearly there are issues he's not addressing. Bielsa has never won anything in European football anywhere and there's solid reasons for that.
Somewhere between Bielsa and Kiko there IS blame to be attached - either the goalkeeper is crap or Bielsa needs to rest him - and we will see more rubbish at the back until this is resolved.
Somewhere between Bielsa and the forwards there IS blame to be attached - we have the worst shot to conversion ratio in the league and that's not great or world class or wonderful to watch.
Somewhere between Bielsa and the owner there IS great credit to be had - we are coherent, well funded and playing attractive football whilst competing at the right end of the table.

Equally - blaming the owners should be done for the right reasons, not ill-informed reasons. They appointed Bielsa so they must accept the rough with the smooth, credit for the good stuff he brings and pelters for his stubbornness. What some on here do is blame them for not investing when that's manifestly untrue, we're running at a loss to make the promotion a reality.

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl
Yep we have never had so good. For some time.

However, I don’t want to end the season still in the Championship reminiscing on how we watched great football at times but for one or two decisions we would have made it to the Premiership.

I hope we don’t look back and wish Casilla was dropped ( about a month ago ) Down to the manager.

I hope we don’t look back and wish we had got in a proven striker. Down to the club.
I hope we don’t look back and say “ if only the manager didn’t stick to the same players”

Bielsa football is great to watch and I am greatfull I have seen it but ultimately if we don’t go up it will be a failure. We seem , at this club, to revel in glorious failure over the decades. It’s about time we had something truly brilliant to celebrate .

BTW Andy - Great post, agree with you

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethemouse

And potochino? Ex spurs boss in the crowd

If we go up? Planning in advance? Interesting, master and apprentice?
BB

On the subs bench
Reply with quote  #31 
Great to see you back Greg!

[love][kiss][thumb]

1st Team player
Reply with quote  #32 
LPC/TVOR - perfect posts!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.