Unofficial Leeds United - Home

Visit the Chatroom

Pistol White
Thought this deserved a thread of it's own, not to put any pressure on the lad or anything...  First time I've seen him start in senior football.  Wow how good was he in the first half, he was Batty like, never lost a tackle, composed on the ball and technically superb.  He was the best player on the park in my humble opinion first half, which is pretty incredible for a 17 year old kid.  Didn't appear physically out of his depth either.  I had heard good reports about him but always reserve judgement until I've seen them myself but now I have had that pleasure it's difficult not to be excited about him.  He faded a little second half as the team did but a fantastic first start from him, a star may have been born.
Ridsdales Goldfish
Loved Redders' subconscious dig at the Hock.

Stating that he himself "had an advantage over (the last manager)....by knowing the academy lads inside out."

Surely suggesting how ridiculous it has been playing Tonge & Norris over the likes of Cook

At last an academy gem we may hold on to (thanks to Massimo)
Pistol White
Yep, Cook and Mowatt showed yesterday that they should be having plenty of starts this year. I fear the Hoc would never have played them, citing inexperience as a reason.
Ridsdales Goldfish
There's no doubt we have the makings of a squad with serious potential.

Fringe internationals, former or current u21's and an average age not seen here for years.

I think, although the working constraints of a Massimo regime might put a few off, a quick look at the playing staff will have most interested parties licking their lips.

Warming up nicely this crusade.
Daniel2
Lewis Cook has been an star for a long time now. Leeds ask the FA for special permission as far back as when he was 13 to be allowed to play him in the FA Youth cup... No surprise he is now turning heads.
ishotamancinreno
Daniel2 wrote:
Lewis Cook has been an star for a long time now. Leeds ask the FA for special permission as far back as when he was 13 to be allowed to play him in the FA Youth cup... No surprise he is now turning heads.

What sort of contract is he on? Anybody know?
.... WHEN I WAS JUST A BABY
     MY MOMMA TOLD ME  'SON,
     ALWAYS BE A GOOD BOY
     & DONT YOU FOLLOW SCUM'
     BUT I SHOT A MANC IN RENO
     JUST TO WATCH HIM DIE!!!     

Sheppey
he played really well yesterday his ability clearly there for everyone to see, stand out player yesterday along with Silvestri and Mowatt

.....................Silvestri(23)
Byram(20)..??????....Cooper(22)...Taylor(20)
............Cook(17)......Mowatt(19)
..??????...........Sloth(22).......Adyran(20)
....................?????????

hard not to get excited about the potential of that side
[image] 
Skygod
Ridsdales Goldfish wrote:
Fringe internationals, former or current u21's and an average age not seen here for years.

Average age starting 11 : 24.8
Average age final 11 : 23.4

'Old man' Warnock (32.7) was the only player over 30, however Antennuci will hit that milestone next month and just 3 other players over 25 (Bianchi, Pearce & Sharp)

Post Whore & Best Newcomer - ULUFC Annual Awards 2013/14

Post Whore & Best Researcher - ULUFC Annual Awards 2014/15
Ridsdales Goldfish
Daniel I have to disagree. Cook hasn't been a star for years.

Ask any fans of other clubs, they ll say he's not even a star now.

Certain in the knowers like the England youth staff will not be shocked.

Potential is astronomic, undoubtedly, but he was exposed to the nation as a starter yesterday for the first time. 

Imho he is a star in the making. That's nearer the mark.
Daniel2
Sheppey, with that promotion you can play Dawson in the right attacking midfield position. Also with Bellusci being 24 and Cooper 22 you have a team that will only improve.
Ridsdales Goldfish
SkyGod wrote:

Average age starting 11 : 24.8
Average age final 11 : 23.4

Team full of Benjamin Buttons [rofl]
Sheppey
Daniel2 wrote:
Sheppey, with that promotion you can play Dawson in the right attacking midfield position. Also with Bellusci being 24 and Cooper 22 you have a team that will only improve.

i thought about Dawson there, we also have Walters, who I think would be more suited to that position then Dawson - and maybe Montenegro, who from reports/review could be just what we need

for the first time years, our team doesn't look past it best and pedestrian
[image] 
Daniel2
Rids, you can scroll back on this and the old site and you will find that scouts from ManU, Chelsea, ManCity, and Spurs have been to see this kid many time since he was very young. Christ I even told any who would listen that my friend was paid by a couple of European teams to scout him.

Speaking of young talents, our beloved/hated owner should try and buy Delli Alli from MK Dons.
Skygod
Daniel2 wrote:
Speaking of young talents, our beloved/hated owner should try and buy Delli Alli from MK Dons.

Think he'll go to straight to a Prem Club or a big European Club.

Kingcurrie
Sheppey wrote:
he played really well yesterday his ability clearly there for everyone to see, stand out player yesterday along with Silvestri and Mowatt

.....................Silvestri(23)
Byram(20)..??????....??????...Taylor(20)
............Cook(17)......Mowatt(19)
..??????...........Sloth(22).......Adyran(20)
....................?????????

hard not to get excited about the potential of that side

Berrardi and benedicic also ?????
Ridsdales Goldfish
Yes Dan, I'm not disputing the vultures from the big clubs weren't aware of Cook long ago, I'm reffering to clubs of a similar or lesser stature to ours. (the majority of the football world in the UK)

Of course the greedy big boys know of all young talent, especially at international youth level but surely a "star" is heading towards household name status?

I think Lewis has some way to go but no denying he will get there.
Kingcurrie
Ridsdales Goldfish wrote:
There's no doubt we have the makings of a squad with serious potential.

I think, although the working constraints of a Massimo regime might put a few off, a quick look at the playing staff will have most interested parties licking their lips.

Warming up nicely this crusade.

My feelings exactly 
Rhino White
I said in my post match review PW that Cook reminded me of a young Batty and although they tired 2nd half he and Mowatt were class I also think AM looked leaner and with games will be a very good CM also.
Pistol White
100% Rhino he defo had the look of a young Batty, combative and never gave the ball away, able to play in little or no space.
shack
"100% Rhino he defo had the look of a young Batty, combative and never gave the ball away, able to play in little or no space"

Also in the youth set up he had an eye for goal something batts sadly didn't have in his locker, which bodes well for his future
willow
Hell of a compliment/comparison  RW/PW/Shack.

If he turns into a player only half as good I will be delighted. Provided he is still at ER, of course.

Daniel2
At this stage I liken Cook's game style more to Decourt or a young Speed then Batty.

Adryan, Mowatt, Cook, Benedicic, and Dawson all under 20 with a good skill level. Sloth a few years older but still just 22.
Skygod
Against Millwall, he made a poor crossfield pass and then tracked back and made a silly tackle which gifted them the penalty.

These things will no doubt be eradicated over time, but to say that he's ready for full season of Championship two game a week outings based on one match?

The last thing we need to do is overplay him if he's not ready for the demands yet and risk him ending up with injury problems a la Byram. He's a great talent I'm sure and hope that he'll have many successful years at ER, but let's be a little bit patient.

Daniel2
Really we can develop these kids by rotating them 60/30.
For example:
Game one - Cook starts and plays 60 minutes and Benedicic plays the remaining 30 minutes
Game two - Benedicic starts and plays 60 minutes and Cook plays remaining 30 minutes
Game three - Austin/Norris play 90 minutes
Game four - start the rotation again.

Mowatt and Adyran can do the same rotation till both are 100% match fit.
Warnock and C.Taylor can do the same if we chose or we can go 1 for 1 game wise with them.

By seasons end we have all our young players developing and ready for the new season.
Rhino White
Skygod wrote:
Against Millwall, he made a poor crossfield pass and then tracked back and made a silly tackle which gifted them the penalty.

These things will no doubt be eradicated over time, but to say that he's ready for full season of Championship two game a week outings based on one match?

The last thing we need to do is overplay him if he's not ready for the demands yet and risk him ending up with injury problems a la Byram. He's a great talent I'm sure and hope that he'll have many successful years at ER, but let's be a little bit patient.

I've already said we can't over-rely or over-use the younger lads I thought Bri.Mc nearly destroyed Mowatt last year doing just that in a sh## team but as Dan has pointed out we have options to rotate them now.
As for his "error" against Millisc#m he is still a kid and I'm still not convinced the Penalty was as nailed on as suggested we've had too many "Seasoned Pro's" who are sheeiitte let alone make the odd mistake.
Willow- High praise indeed but i'll reiterate "reminds" has stacks of potential I also like his confidence in his own ability which is in part down to Redders to be fair get the right Coach in and we FINALLY have a vibrant young team that has the LUFC heart but also ability to take us forward!
willow
I love what I have seen of the lad Rhino.

Some kids have played for their Countries at 17/18. I would handle him with care - but I would not inhibit hi potential by over protecting him. A talent is a talent. How old was Bats under Billy? 17/18. Skinny runt as I recall - initially.

I agree that McDermott exposed Mowatt (who I do not rate as highly) by continuing to play him when he was struggling in a c-rap X1 - and did not look fit enough. I would be wary with Cook - but if he continues to perform as he apparently did yesterday - I would encourage him by NOT leaving him out for (e.g) a guy like Murphy who had had way too long to show his worth IMO. And he is what 24/25?

Rhino White
Absolutely H it's getting that right balance re-Mowatt I honestly thought he thrived yesterday mate although he like the team tired he looks leaner and again he is a "player" with so much potential.
Rawdonwhite
The first time I saw him was against Guiseley and I had to ask someone who he was. He stood out and he has done every time I've seen him since. He's 17 and although he doesn't look it, it is some achievement to look so at home in the centre of midfield in the adult game. Outfield MOM with Sloth as close second for me.

It must be very difficult to keep his feet on the ground but it is very important that we do.

How incredible would it be to see Mowatt, Cook and Dawson playing together - two fingers up to the EPPP, two fingers up to the Premier League and two fingers up to Greg Dyke and his sycophants and self proclaimed experts . We've got a rich history of bringing great youngsters through and bursting into the establishment and upsetting the apple cart - maybe this is a reason enough for setting on Redders - what a story that would be - imagine getting promoted with a core of you're own talent and p:sing off the big spenders like we used to.
willow
Came across wrong did that statement re young Mowatt.

The suggestion that I do not rate him as highly as Cook - is only a reflection of how highly I rate the latter.

Mowatt has got an awful lot of potential too IMO. 

Nobody can possibly argue with the numbers that MC has managed to secure (Grayson 33 loan signings in 36 months?). The proof of the pudding of course will be how many of them are able to step up? Will be interesting to see - and I would rather have a complete set of unknowns - than  well known tosh/journeymen like  Connolly, Bromby, Nunez, Paynter, Leigh Bromby, Ephraim, Capaldi, McSheffrey, Collins, Faye, McCartney, Trundle, Rachubka, Brown, O'dea etc etc.............................which brings me back to Grayson???

BB
Whoever is the new coach/manager certainly has a pool of talented players to work on.

The right would see his star rise immensely.

MC has to get it right. Hockaday type appointments are not the answer now. (So that rules our Redfearn too!)

BB
Leodiensian
Cook looks a real prospect - no doubt about it. Not shy in the tackle and a good range/vision in his passing. Agree we need to ensure he's used responsibly. We can't allow him to burn out.

With the new signings made, I can't see Dawson getting much game time. Maybe one to look at sending out on loan to continue his development.
SA

Lewis Cook is awesome. But how I wish there was a senior player in the same role to protect him, nurture him and help him progress with less pressure. Imagine having a Scott Parker or a Joey Barton (without the antics) in that holding CM position with Cook backing them up or playing as their partner. Just feels so much better in terms of knowing the kid is in safe hands than having him play in the most important position in team in his first season. I'm not saying he will struggle. I just fear for the worst. As we saw last year with Mowatt, there is only so much individual brilliance can do when a team is in a rut. After a point, it'd affect their effectiveness and progress.

Leodiensian
Bang on SA. You've mentioned Mowatt there but I think we can also cite Byram as an example. He progressed quickly but has plateued and even stagnated. I think this is more due to the general state of the team but nonetheless, he could benefit from the guidance of a more experienced player.

Looking at the Brighton game, the team continually looked to him as an outlet but there was no one up the line for him, no one moving into a support position. He was left to make the best of it and track back when possession was lost. Too much to ask of a lad of his age.
SA

True Leo - Just that with Byram, his position doesn't need that much protection when compared to the holding midfield that Cook plays. As most certainly, once opposition learn of our 17 yr old kid in the middle, they will target him. Much of the action will be down the middle, especially the away games. Also, it would be mentally really tough on the kid to bear the pressure away from home when we're struggling - people would expect a reaction from his position first and foremost. He seems to be blessed with ability beyond his age but still, a senior pro would help in these times.

As well as Mowatt played vs Bolton, there is a world of difference between him and Cook. The latter was just different class. Mowatt was struggling by the 80th minute and yet he looks fitter than ever before. But Cook was like a boss - fantastic energy and quality for 95 mins.

Daniel2
The thing with the squad now is that players like Mowatt and Byram will have others who will be able to take the pressure off and play the same style as then. Players like Cook, Adryan, Sloth, Bellusci, Cooper, Bianchi, Dawson, Benedicic, and the rest of the signing all are floor footballer. Going forward with the right coach we have the makings of a very good footballing team and Mowatt and Byram will find it easier and more comfortable thus allowing them to play freely.