Unofficial Leeds United - Home

Visit the Chatroom

Sheppey Show full post »
BB
Kane, Rashford + Abrahams from next season but you are right. No top club really produces top strikers, they just leave it to the smaller clubs and then buy. It is far more sexy to pay £100 million + than have a kid from the academy come through.
BB
Soopaleeds
Bournemouth - that's about it
Everybody has a story to tell.     That's why I hide at home [facepalm-smiley-emoticon]
LeedsPremChamps2020
I believe it is the mounting pressure since the prem to buy big talent upfront for ‘instant success’ (which we know rarely works) but the ones who did it well did it by keeping the core behind the strikers the same where possible.
Look at us? We’ve got kids banging then in for fun in the u23’s but they never quite outmuscle purchased players, mainly because buying a 7m Bamford and then not playing him because a youngster is on decent form would get a manager/coach slaughtered by fans (why aren’t we playing Eddie, he’s worth x as a recent loose example but maybe Edmondson would be better)). If we didn’t demand success in promotions or trophies, youngsters would play imo
I should’ve just put 2020/21 damn it!
Championship Champions is close enough for me!

WE ARE BACK BABY!
Dessip
A long time since we’ve had a striker through the ranks. Remember someone saying that it was because our academy coaches have historically been defenders and midfielders with no understanding of how a forward should play which I guess made some sense..

Got a mention as one of the poshest & dimmest posters - Board Awards 2013/14
stevethemouse
On lutv tonight @7
PapaSmurf
Typical, I tune in and they score.
BB

Trouble is we are not playing the best U23 sides. Makes us look better than we really are and makes players look better than what they are.

We have a clutch of promising youngsters but I doubt more than 1 or 2 can really make it in the Prem. Meislier possibly/maybe, Stuijk maybe, Cresswell definitely, Gotts - will leave in the summer, Davis maybe, Stevens maybe, Edmondson - lower leagues, Hudson maybe, Bogusz maybe, and I could go on with the maybes, Only Cresswell looks a decent shout for now. However, it is how he develops over the next year or two. I'd like to think he could be our Tony Adams. A REAL leader that loves LUFC and would run through brick walls for that famous white shirt. Just hope my rose tinted glasses do not over estimate the young guy.

Shacks looks the real deal though. 

BB
Peterlufc
I agree BB most of  U23 not going to make it.
Cresswell stands out both in play and leadership 
only 18 got a big future.
I like Casey but do not understand why he is being played in Kalvin role recently.
Kumwenda Kenneh McCarron McKinstry promising youngsters.
Kenneh next Kalvin for me
Edmondson still young 

Think a lot will move on to decent lower league careers in summer 

icelandic white
one year in develops squat can make a big different. Not good enough now, can by class next year.
PapaSmurf
Casey being able to okay CB and DCM would endeer himself with Biesla. Same with Davis who can play CB and LB. Stevens can okay CM and On the wings. When you look at it that way, it's no surprise they are or have been regulars on the subs bench.
Tony Currie10
PapaSmurf wrote:
Casey being able to okay CB and DCM would endeer himself with Biesla. Same with Davis who can play CB and LB. Stevens can okay CM and On the wings. When you look at it that way, it's no surprise they are or have been regulars on the subs bench.

It's why Kiki gets in the team as he can play in goal and as a midfielder....

2020 MONEY MAN CHAMPION

FISHCURRIE PROMOTIONS WORLD CUP 2018 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....

GLENN HODDLE IS THE FUTURE....

LAST MAN STANDING WINNER 2018
EURO U.21's 2017 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
DIMNEST POSTER 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020....
EURO 2016 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
3rd PLACE WITH HOLLAND IN ULUFC WORLD CUP SWEEPSTAKE 2014....
JOINT WEIRDEST POSTER 2014....I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me....I think
stevethemouse
I23 on lutv @ 2 pm today
LUID
Strong team named v Barnsley - good to see Leif back on the pitch. 
LUID
Douglas , Gianni , Shacks , Poveda and Roberts all start as well.
LUID
1-1 FT - Leeds ahead midway through second half through Kamwa , created by Poveda. Barnsley equalised from a penalty. 
BB
Barnsley have shown that teams have worked us out!!!

Water the pitch heavily to make it really boggy, make sure the surface is not level and has loads of bumps and ditches. That way playing the ball along the ground is impossible. Simple!

I understand Harris has worked this out and told his ground-staff to not work on the Cardiff pitch this week other than ensuring it has copious amounts of water. They are also instructed to break up as much of the surface as possible so playing on the ground is not an option. 
BB
Peterlufc

BB

Do not think the pitch at Cardiff will matter as the ball will be airborne most of the match apart from waiting for long throws.

Danish Leeds Fan
Witty stuff, BB and PeterLUFC!

By the way, Leif ‘very good’ Davis played today, first time after his injury.
vawhite
Dessip wrote:
A long time since we’ve had a striker through the ranks. Remember someone saying that it was because our academy coaches have historically been defenders and midfielders with no understanding of how a forward should play which I guess made some sense..

good comment, racking my brain and thinking Alan smith and Harry Kewell may have been last to break through on a regular basis. Tommy Wright and Noel Whelan did well before being sold  and going back further we had Terry Connor and way back Carl Harris.

Any takers on more recent strikers to come through ?

excluding Gary Kelly, a striker converted to full back
Peterlufc
Howson was a striker in younger days.
Thankfully he remembered that against Bristol Rovers.
Tony Currie10

Anyone remember Lyndon Simmonds, a young Welsh academy striker?

I'll always remember his debut from the Kop where he had the balls to take a penalty and score twice v Portsmouth in about 1986(?)

We thought he was going to be our next big thing but he only played about another 4 games before he was shipped out.... maybe through injury(?)
2020 MONEY MAN CHAMPION

FISHCURRIE PROMOTIONS WORLD CUP 2018 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....

GLENN HODDLE IS THE FUTURE....

LAST MAN STANDING WINNER 2018
EURO U.21's 2017 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
DIMNEST POSTER 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020....
EURO 2016 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
3rd PLACE WITH HOLLAND IN ULUFC WORLD CUP SWEEPSTAKE 2014....
JOINT WEIRDEST POSTER 2014....I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me....I think
SeasideWhite
>As a young lad growing up in South Wales, Lyndon Simmonds was an avid Leeds United supporter. Often in trouble at school, he was one day summoned to the Headmaster’s office:

“I had been trying to keep my nose clean and was unsure why I’d got the call to go to see the Headmaster. I entered the room to see Eddie Gray and Jimmy Lumsden sitting there. Eddie was a hero to me and he had driven 300 miles to ask me to sign for Leeds United."

Lyndon left school early in an attempt to grasp such a fantastic opportunity:

"I'd spent a few weeks training at Arsenal and also Cardiff City. I had options but once Leeds showed their interest there was only place I wanted to go."

Having scored goals for fun in the youth team and reserves, Lyndon was given his first team debut by Eddie Gray on 6th April 1985 in a low key nil-nil draw at home to Blackburn Rovers.

To this day, many believe that Eddie Gray should have been given more time at Leeds. He had a good young squad with the likes of John Sheridan, Tommy Wright, Scott Sellars, Denis Irwin and Andy Linighan in the first team.

Also, terrific prospects such as Terry Phelan and John Scales were coming through the ranks and Gray was very unfortunate that the suits at Elland Road lost patience with him. He was fired in October 1985.

Only days after Gray’s sacking, Leeds faced Manchester City in a Full Members Cup group game. The competition which would continue for a few years in various disguises,never really caught the imagination.

Lyndon Simmonds was named in the squad and travelled to Maine Road. It was a cold Monday night, less than 5,000 fans turned up and Leeds got hammered 6-1:

“I came off the bench and replaced George McCluskey, it was a truly horrendous evening."

Just two days later, Leeds played the second and final game of the group. Lyndon made his first start for the club in a 1-1 draw at home to Sheffield United. Just 2,274 turned up at Elland Road.

A few weeks later, and back in the youth team, Leeds were playing Grimsby Town. It was a fiery encounter which Lyndon has never forgotten:

“A team mate, Mark Fella, had been taking some stick all night from a Grimsby defender called Moore. After one incident, Mark was on the ground and took a boot to the face. We were raging although the offender stressed it was accidental.

"Later in the game, I clattered Moore in an attempt to get revenge but unfortunately I received a straight red card."

The directors had appointed the legendary Billy Bremner as the new manager and after a 3-0 defeat at Barnsley, Billy took charge of his new club for the first time at Elland Road the following week against Portsmouth. Lyndon hit the headlines:

“I turned up at Elland Road on the Saturday morning to play for the youth team. When I arrived I found out I wasn’t involved but it all became clear at 1pm when I was informed that I was in the first team squad. Billy had left it late to avoid me becoming too nervous.

"I fully expected to be named as sub but George McCluskey failed a fitness test and I was named in the starting line up."

What transpired was 'Roy of the Rovers' stuff. Leeds, who had been struggling for results, beat the league leaders 2-1 with Lyndon scoring both goals on his full league debut:

“I’ll never forget that day, it was amazing despite big Noel Blake (who would later play for Leeds) smashing me in the nose. I partnered Ian Baird up front and he was brilliant, talking to me throughout the game, offering advice and encouragement.

"The first goal, I bundled over the line and the second was a penalty at the Kop end. John Sheridan was captain and when the spot kick was awarded he picked the ball up. I presumed he was taking it but he handed it to me and told me to stick it in the net. It wasn’t the best penalty I’d ever taken, but it went in and it was an unbelievable feeling."

Simmonds, as a result of the Grimsby incident, would miss the next game at Millwall. He made a further seven league appearances that season, two of them coming off the bench and he added one more goal to his tally in a 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough at Ayresome Park.

Lyndon’s final appearance that season was on the 12th April, coming off the bench in a home defeat by Millwall. It would prove to be the last time he wore a Leeds shirt:

“I suffered terribly with injuries; I had several operations on my cartilage and in a bid to regain fitness I spent some time on loan at Swansea the following season."

Lyndon joined Swansea in October 1986 and in seven appearances for the Swans, he scored once, ironically against Rochdale who themselves were to sign him on loan from Leeds later that season. Lyndon then achieved a unique feat when he scored for Rochdale against Swansea:

“I loved every minute of my time at Rochdale, Eddie Gray was in charge and I partnered ex Leeds, Glasgow Rangers and Manchester City centre forward Derek Parlane up front. Our goals helped them avoid relegation from the Football League.”

Lyndon Simmonds scored 10 times in 22 appearances that season and eventually signed for Rochdale on a permanent basis. In total he played 73 times for the Lancashire club but unfortunately, the injury problems continued and at the age of just 21, a promising career was cruelly cut short by pelvic problems.

It was a devastating blow for the young Welshman but the majority of the 15,672 crowd at Elland Road that November day against Portsmouth in 1985 will always remember the instant impact Lyndon Simmonds made.

Thank you to Lyndon Simmonds for giving me his time and the opportunity to write this article.

Danish Leeds Fan
Very interesting read. A rather tragic story. Hopefully things turned out well for Lyndon.
The Dukes Guts
He is the UK and European recruiter for QPR now
Chack0
Could our u18s captain Charlie Cresswell be the Ben White replacement we desperately need?
https://focusonleeds.com/2020/02/04/charlie-cresswell-the-young-centre-back-putting-in-impressive-performances/
^just read this article, sounds just like Ben White.
"composed on the ball, can play out from the back, great passing range, strong in the tackle, most impressive attribute is his ability to sniff out danger,
He also scored 10 goals in 2019 which is incredible for a centre back (all be it a few were pens).
Was named in the LFE's 2019 "The 11" (like the u18s EFL team of the year) - our last youngster to be named in this was Lewis Cook.
Played along Struijk for u23s and kept clean sheet - a future premier league winning partnership 😁
Any one got any inside info on this lad?
BB? you are usually in the know on our academy prospects. Can he step up?

Soopaleeds
Ryan Edmondson has joined Aberdeen till January on loan
Everybody has a story to tell.     That's why I hide at home [facepalm-smiley-emoticon]
BB
Cresswell is ready to step up, I have no doubt about that. I am sure he will get his chance in preseason. Just needs to take it and grab MB's attention. IMO he could be better than Ben White
BB