Unofficial Leeds United - Home

Visit the Chatroom

Dessip
I'm really hoping someone on here can help me as apart from this site and LinkedIn I'm a total knacker when it comes to the whole interweb thing and the concept of social networking.

in summary I'm planning to start a small simple pre-dominantly web-based retail fashion business which will also have some charitable element to it as well... (even us Tories can sometimes have a heart)

Anyway, does anyone have any experience in this area? For example:

1. How much does it cost (approx) to create a decent website ie build, host, make changes etc?
2. Is it easy to set up payment options or is Paypal a suitable method?
3. Has anyone had any experience of using twitter from a marketing standpoint?
4. How do people use things like Instagram and Snapchat effectively for marketing?
5. How easy is it to improve your search engine rankings etc?

I'm really hoping someone can give me some guidance (or at least point me in the right direction) which can help me avoid any common mistakes a rookie may often make...

Many thx

Got a mention as one of the poshest & dimmest posters - Board Awards 2013/14
Sir Rob Vegetable
Dessip wrote:
I'm really hoping someone on here can help me as apart from this site and LinkedIn I'm a total knacker when it comes to the whole interweb thing and the concept of social networking. in summary I'm planning to start a small simple pre-dominantly web-based retail fashion business which will also have some charitable element to it as well... (even us Tories can sometimes have a heart) Anyway, does anyone have any experience in this area? For example: 1. How much does it cost (approx) to create a decent website ie build, host, make changes etc? 2. Is it easy to set up payment options or is Paypal a suitable method? 3. Has anyone had any experience of using twitter from a marketing standpoint? 4. How do people use things like Instagram and Snapchat effectively for marketing? 5. How easy is it to improve your search engine rankings etc? I'm really hoping someone can give me some guidance (or at least point me in the right direction) which can help me avoid any common mistakes a rookie may often make... Many thx

Everything depends... a bit like how much does it cost to sign a decent striker....

Website.... you CAN do it yourself if your requirements are simple.... will cost you c £30 to buy your domain name address for a few years, and plenty of 'Wizard' type sites that allow you to use a simple front end to build a website fit to launch your company, just by using standard templates/layouts etc - trust you me, if you can do it yourself you'll find updating it etc much easier and quicker than having to get the original developer back who'll charge you.

Or... go to a proper independent website builder for something much better - will cost £1k min, unless you find someone just starting off themselves who will do things at time cost price only (£300-400).

Search engine results is about "Search Optimisation" and about tagging your site with hidden references so that whatever people search on your pages contain some reference to it and always appear high up the 'relevancy' rankings.

PayPal is fine, depends on what you're selling though - I know someone who uses PayPal for consultancy fees that he freelances via email and webconferencing (typically £200-£500 per job) and just accepts that PayPal take a percentage of fees earned - but also knows that his customers prefer the trust/guarantees with paying an invoice through PayPal - so he's sure he gets more business that way.

Right.... as for Twitter etc..... you've got to think like you're the customer and not a marketing agency i.e. how would you view someone pushing out Twitter messages to you all the time about stuff you may or may not be interested in?  So don't do 'Advertising / Push messaging' via Twitter where you constantly ask people to Retweet your messages to get people seeing stuff...

That said, I think create a Twitter profile for your company and manage it reactively such as thanking people who place purchases or make enquiries, etc - and build a small mailing base that way.

What's your business going to sell?

Dessip
Thx for that Rob. That's pretty good solid advice especially regarding Twitter

Im planning on importing & marketing Ladies fashion items believe it or not. Only one or two very simple lines aimed at reasonably affluent women aged 25 through to 45 and which will require me to hold very little inventory

I want to also donate a % of profits to charities linked specifically to epilepsy so I'm trying to figure out if and how I can use twitter to reach some of their followers and hopefully build from there. This is a sideline thing that we are trying to create as a family so its not something that will allow me to give up my day job....at least not yet

Ideally I want to have the products in place for q4 so I can at least start to build up some experience before getting more aggressive on the marketing front. Clearly social networking has the potential to be incredibly effective if its done right....I'm just not sure I best understand how to do it right! :-)

As always all help and guidance is much appreciated...

ukcust
Hi, ive been lurking on this forum for last few seasons, first on the old site then here when u all moved across, have you thought about instead of doing ya own webpage to start of with doing a ebay business account? u can link paypal direct to it and it be a gd way of starting up and getting ya feet wet and trying to get a gd base of customers, then if it kicks off and u start to grow u can then move over to ya own web page etc, its just another way of doing it and wont be has big a lay out stright away like doing a web page would be.
Dessip
Welcome ukcust and thx for contributing.:-)

I had thought of using ebay but I think it terms of the brand image I want to try and build something that at least creates the impression of being slightly more exclusive

That said if I end up stuck with a load of inventory I might have to think again. I do think ebay has a part to play though..

ukcust
the thing about ebay is it allready has high number or fraffic going through it, u dont have to hope that search engines link to ya site ebay searches will bring ya stuff up, its just a gd way of getting people to notice u at the start of things.
Batfastard
Dessip wrote:
Thx for that Rob. That's pretty good solid advice especially regarding Twitter

Im planning on importing & marketing Ladies fashion items believe it or not.

"Planning to"

Yeah, ok. Like your spare room isn't already full of your "weekend attire," Conchita [rolleyes]
Batfastard of Wakefield - the REAL Burger King

Better a pig, than a pygmy.

Mary rape is real rape. 
Rich_LUFC
Drop me a PM Dessip - I'm pretty up to speed on stuff since starting this site and can go through some options with you. 

Social networking is a pain to get started from nothing.  It's ok once you are established as in essence it is a 'word of mouth' recommendation - but take Twitter for example - any 'tweets' are seen in the 'now' and quickly disappear from view - even with over 5k followers on twitter, we struggle to get more than 20 hits when we post a link.

SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is the key - and without something really unique, it is going to be a struggle to get anywhere near the first fifteen pages on google - so then you have to revert to the old fashioned forms of marketing - Direct Mail, Email and above the Line advertising.

Ebay is a good place to start - as you already have a captive audience - people looking to buy - so it is worth having an ebay shop and hope they search for the goods you are selling (so getting your naming and catergories right is essential).

Happy to help though so drop me a note and I'll do what I can...

[pixel]
Tony Montana
Listen To Fids Dessip. He knows his stuff when it comes to.........

Buying Frocks.

[Tm1_5e122506ebbe4]

" I shall not rest until Leeds United are kicked out of the football league. There fans are the scum of the Earth, absolute animals and a disgrace. I will do everything in my power to make this happen". Kenneth William Bates Chelsea Owner and Chairman April 28th 1984.
Skygod
Dessip,

You need to be clear what your product is and what your target audience is. If it's youngsters, then social networking sites can be the way to go, but simply putting 'adverts' out there on Twitter or Youtube will not get you anywhere and they are very time consuming.

If you're looking at a 'small' venture, then I'd agree with what's been said previously and simply look at an Ebay store, however if you have time, the design 'eye' and reasonable technical skills then developing your own site can avoid the commissions that will be payable to Ebay.

Assuming that you want online payment options, you will be best looking at a third party that can operate the 'store' and 'payment' side of the site, as secure transaction processing is a complete nightmare to implement and maintain single-handedly.

SEO is certainly important if you choose to go 'independent', however if you take a standard framework such as Wordpress or Joomla, then you can integrate modules that will help you 'tweak' the SEO content and add/modify new content with relative ease.

A few 'tips' if you choose to go independent:

• Ensure that your domain name reflects your company name and that the company name is a reflection of the products you're selling.
  • When purchasing the domain, register it for a minimum of three years at signup.
  • Keep your domain name registered at a site which can be independent of your hosting company.

There are a number of other issues that I'd also be willing to provide you information about, so similar to Rich, I also offer you the option of contacting me by PM if you want any suggestion / advice or just to use me as a 'sounding board'.

The bottom line is that you need quality content and regular new content to get noticed by the search engines and the 'holy grail' is to become recognised as an 'authoritative' site on a subject.

Good luck!
Post Whore & Best Newcomer - ULUFC Annual Awards 2013/14

Post Whore & Best Researcher - ULUFC Annual Awards 2014/15
Tony Montana
Listen to Skygod Dessip. He should be able to get fake designer labels in Thailand at a snip.

Soz in advance Skygod for the hundreds of emails and PMs you will soon receive from Fids.

[Tm1_5e122506ebbe4]

" I shall not rest until Leeds United are kicked out of the football league. There fans are the scum of the Earth, absolute animals and a disgrace. I will do everything in my power to make this happen". Kenneth William Bates Chelsea Owner and Chairman April 28th 1984.
Skygod
Tony Montana wrote:
Listen to Skygod Dessip. He should be able to get fake designer labels in Thailand at a snip. Soz in advance Skygod for the hundreds of emails and PMs you will soon receive from Fids.

'Quality' Fake Rolex : http://pattayabound.blogspot.com/2012/06/where-can-you-buy-good-replica-copy.html
'Quality' Fake 1st team football shirts : c.600 - 700 Baht (12 quid)

Just don't make the mistake of selling fakes as 'genuine', as you'll end up with a long stretch at 'Her Majesty's Pleasure'

A company I used to work for here in Thailand (when I was based in Pattaya) used to look after the rentals of properties owned by a guy dealing in 'hooky' golf clubs.

I don't need to post a source, just Google for Gary Bellchambers Pattaya

Post Whore & Best Newcomer - ULUFC Annual Awards 2013/14

Post Whore & Best Researcher - ULUFC Annual Awards 2014/15
Dessip
Thx Rich and SG. I'll probably take you up on that offer. If gate ok

Fair play though Tony for being able to inject humour even one of the duller topics... (Laughing smiley)

Eddie Yates
@ Montana...."frocks"[lol]
lubyvader
Feck me as soon as someone new comes on theres our Stan trying to groom em FFS See you'll be about next season a bit then

Outright  Weirdest Poster[arrow-10x10] 2015
LMS WINNER 2015/16
joint best signature 2016/17