Visit the Chatroom

Rich_LUFC
http://www.unofficiallufc.co.uk/player-ratings.html

Rate away...
[pixel]
Sheppey
i only watched it on the TV - but i dont think anybody got over a 6

Taylor, Pearce, Cooper, Warnock and Wootton all 6s - hard night for them
Murphy - 1 - I cant work out why he keeps getting picked and after last night, im not sure he should again
Tonge -  4 - can somebody point out what he does?
Bianchi - 4 - see above, but gets the benefit at the moment
Norris - 5 - he should have been binned a long time back, but wasn't the worst player on the pitch but far from good enough
Smith - 5 - that high because he scored - terrible player, that encourages terrible football
Sharp - 5 - nothing he could really do,

Hockaday 2 - got it all wrong again, his tactics made their left back look-like Roberto Carlos and what was with the lack of changes, it was clear Smith needed to come off - seriously stop with the diamond
[image] 
Hicksy
No pace or energy in that side . Hock out .
wightLeeds
Taylor, Pearce, smith 7
Warnock, cooper, Norris Wootton 6
Bianchi 5
Sharp Tonge 4
Murphy 1
bats
Seriously didnt think we were bad fought hard when down to 10 men.
Rich_LUFC
Quote:
Seriously didnt think we were bad fought hard when down to 10 men.

Nothing wrong with effort - but losing a man on the pitch does not mean you have to concede all possession.  Their defence had acres and acres of room to play it to their midfield, who were stood in even more acres and acres of space, who were then able to pick up forwards or runners at will, because yet again they were given soooo much space.

We were brave in the tackle, but thats because we had to be.  We couldn;t string simple passes together or make them chase the game.  We should have been able to keep the ball, at least for some periods and made them chase us a little - they are a division lower and five games ago, they were two divisions lower.  From what I saw, it was beyond woeful.  

Yes, lots of effort.  Lots of last ditch tackles and brave play, but we basically could put five passes together.  The fact we were down to ten men should have evened things up - not given them such superiority.
[pixel]
willow
Spot on Rich

I think that our current plight/form/ambition is reducing our expectations massively. I don't mean in respect of accepting a season (another one) of stabilisation ready for next year's big push (again).

I mean in accepting that stopping a division 3 team from actually scoring (well done Taylor) and thereby "still being in the game" etc is noe becoming acceptable in some quarters.

I thought we were distinctly average for all the reasons you highlight - none of which have much to do with the influx of players or being habitually down to 10 men. It could be argued that by persisting with Murphy - we essentially started with 10 men - and actually went own to 9!

Skygod
willow wrote:
It could be argued that by persisting with Murphy - we essentially started with 10 men - and actually went own to 9!

Murphy was a player that MC seemed quite keen on at the end of last season. He hasn't done anything this year though. Could it be that MC / NS just wanted a final 'look' before deciding to 'cut him loose', as he's probably the most expensive player asset on the books?

Post Whore & Best Newcomer - ULUFC Annual Awards 2013/14

Post Whore & Best Researcher - ULUFC Annual Awards 2014/15
willow
Quite possibly G.

I do recall Cellino speaking highly of him at the end of last season and suggesting McDermott did not know how to get the best out of him.

In all honesty, however, I really have no idea what is going on at ER. The feedback I do receive beggars belief - so I don't believe it - and the offerings from DH I find even more worrying.

Just hope that there is a reaction on Saturday that manages to kick start our campaign. 

stevethemouse
taylor norris warnock 8
cooper wootton pearce  7
bianchi tonge   4 
sharp 5 
smith 6
murphy 0
Sheppey
stevethemouse wrote:
taylor norris warnock 8
cooper wootton pearce  7
bianchi tonge   4 
sharp 5 
smith 6
murphy 0

I honestly cant work out how you have given some players 8s, we clearly watched a different game
[image] 
wightLeeds
Sheppey

Taylor produced a very competent performance and Norris and warnock were okay but agree 6/7 at best for me
willow
stevethemouse wrote:
taylor norris warnock 8
cooper wootton pearce  7
bianchi tonge   4 
sharp 5 
smith 6
murphy 0

blummin heck Stevie - hold some back mate - in case some of them ever play well!

Sir Rob Vegetable
Thought Taylor was fairly mediocre in that game if i'm honest....

Kicking = patchy

Shot-stopping = let one in through his legs, made a fairly routine save look glamorous that wasn't difficult to make, and the winning goal was well within his reach - i'm not saying it was routine, but at his level you'd expect keepers to get to that even if they can't keep it out.  Put it this way, i'm sure Paddy Kenny would have saved it 19 times in 20, and from what i've seen Silvestri would have too.

Handling = very good on crosses and catches, couple of firm shots to body that he caught well.... underlining that he does the basics very well.

• Warnock (7.5) was by comparison to others excellent really, both going forwards and defending
  • Sharp (6.5) worked really hard with the scraps he got
  • Tonge (6.5) tried to play football and i think he's an important player for us - calm head, reliable, runs, passes, but won't set the world alight either.
  • Pearce (6.5) was defensively very sound, I dont understand the frustration directed at him by some fans.
  • Bianchi (6) - good on the ball, neat short passing, but his long balls never worked.  Did a lot of tracking back though!
  • Taylor (6) - as per opening sentence, flattered to deceive by doing the basics well but made the other stuff look difficult/beyond him
  • Smith (5) - difficult to summarise, he won 5 headers in the box so was our only real threat and clearly very dangerous there - but does NOTHING outside the box, and is Conference level with the ball at his feet.  Surely we can't afford to carry a player who's sole attribute is winning headers in the penalty box?
  • Wootton (5.5) did pretty well out of position - don't recall many errors, but he's clearly not a right back and offered nothing going forward.
  • Norris (5.5) didn't look rusty but neither did he impose himself on the game given his experience
  • Cooper (4) looked very off beat to me, and didn't offer the attacking outlet from the back that he's known to be capable of.
  • Murphy (2) - absolute idiot for what he did, although if i'm honest neither of the challenges were dangerous or aggressive - just late and clumsy. He had actually pulled his foot out of the challenges so no studs showing at all, it was his legs that brought the players down.  I also think if it were a home game and the crowd didn't hyper-sensationalise the challenges then he would have escaped with only a final warning on the second challenge. 

As per my other thread I don't think the poor performance of the TEAM was down to poor performing individuals - they were just trapped in a system that didn't work, and was poorly balanced.  I think most the players can hold their heads up individually, but Hockaday deserved the blame for this.
Wildwood
Quote:
they were just trapped in a system that didn't work, and was poorly balanced.  I think most the players can hold their heads up individually, but Hockaday deserved the blame for this.

yep, got to agree with you. also with regards to ratings.

warnock, like most games as far as i'm concerned, played very well...still don't understand why people want to see him dropped.
Disclaimer: unless stated otherwise, it's meant in jest 
SA

My Ratings:

Taylor - 6 - At fault for the winner. Can't help but connect the dots about his reputation, track record etc and make the interpretation that he's not good enough.  Any half decent keeper worth his salt at this level would have saved that. Just needed to be quick and alert.

Warnock - 6 - Just a pity that his leadership and experience at the back keeps him in the side. As IMO he doesn't bring much quality otherwise that can help us improve as we move on. 

Pearce - 6.5 - Rather have him on our side than the opposition. His fighting spirit and swashbuckling style of play raises our game at least defensively. Especially in backs to the wall situation. Good team player.

Cooper - 6.5 - I am warming up to how comfortable he is on the ball. Must be hard for him though to be in and out of the side. Slipped for the winner but I think he will be fine in the long run. Confident defender.

Wotton - 5 - Don't rate him as a defender. Must try and become a CDM in League 1. Might suit him better. Horrible as a right back. Very Peltier-esque. 

Tonge - 5 - Surprised he lasted 98 mins. Only reason he got away with it was because of league 1 opposition, so we could afford him as holding CM. Limited mobility and engine. Decent passing. Not enough to help this team pick itself up at the moment.

Murphy - 0 - Shouldn't be playing ahead of Cook. If this was the only way that could happen, then so be it. Boy needs dropping and training.

Bianchi - 6.5 - I like this guy. Great engine. Great attitude. Positive. Confident on the ball. Good IQ. Some lovely touches wasted by team mates. Wants to play. Put him with good players and we will see more from him. As his ideas are good and has the effort to back it. A cultured CM that can be consistent in a steady team.

Norris - 5 - Same old. Runs like a mad dog. Archaic managers love it. Does very little to help the team for most portions of the game but pops up with good assist to stay in the team. In the long run, players like him would be exposed.

Sharp - 5 - At least you can see him working hard and caring for the team. Can't help but think how good he can be if we feed him in the right areas and bring him to life. A different player in the final 3rd.

Smith - 6.5 - I liked him vs Bradford. For a change I thought his all round game was good. It helped that he had Norris and Sharp running around - he found them well - he held the ball well and he put himself in 3 goal scoring positions - scored 1. Honest effort. Well done.

I for one didn't understand Hockaday's tactics. No idea why he went for a flat midfield when Ajose, Mowatt, Dawson etc are crying for a run out in this team. This game would have been ideal to give them a go but I guess he stuck with senior players to keep his job. Too bad they failed him and he's lost it now.

leeds darn sarf
Watched on TV was still celebrating when they equalized FFS

Taylor -   7   I thought he did OK
Pearce -   5   His positioning remains suspect
Cooper -  5   Started OK but needs time
Warnock  7   He has upped his game.
Wootton - 6  Played out of position which is rather worrying
Murphy -  1  One point for turning up  [smiley-score001]  he should not be in the 1st team (as I've said before)
Tonge -    5   Steady, but he hasn't got the legs anymore
Bianchi -  4   Worried by his lack of ...... well anything really
Norris -   5    Not sure why he was in the team, steady but he's past his best
Smith -   6    Well he scored but missed one at the end.
Sharp -   5    Chasing shadows most of the night
   [leeds_united] 
Kingcurrie
SA wrote:

My Ratings:

Taylor - 6 - At fault for the winner. Can't help but connect the dots about his reputation, track record etc and make the interpretation that he's not good enough.  Any half decent keeper worth his salt at this level would have saved that. Just needed to be quick and alert.

Warnock - 6 - Just a pity that his leadership and experience at the back keeps him in the side. As IMO he doesn't bring much quality otherwise that can help us improve as we move on. 

Pearce - 6.5 - Rather have him on our side than the opposition. His fighting spirit and swashbuckling style of play raises our game at least defensively. Especially in backs to the wall situation. Good team player.

Cooper - 6.5 - I am warming up to how comfortable he is on the ball. Must be hard for him though to be in and out of the side. Slipped for the winner but I think he will be fine in the long run. Confident defender.

Wotton - 5 - Don't rate him as a defender. Must try and become a CDM in League 1. Might suit him better. Horrible as a right back. Very Peltier-esque. 

Tonge - 5 - Surprised he lasted 98 mins. Only reason he got away with it was because of league 1 opposition, so we could afford him as holding CM. Limited mobility and engine. Decent passing. Not enough to help this team pick itself up at the moment.

Murphy - 0 - Shouldn't be playing ahead of Cook. If this was the only way that could happen, then so be it. Boy needs dropping and training.

Bianchi - 6.5 - I like this guy. Great engine. Great attitude. Positive. Confident on the ball. Good IQ. Some lovely touches wasted by team mates. Wants to play. Put him with good players and we will see more from him. As his ideas are good and has the effort to back it. A cultured CM that can be consistent in a steady team.

Norris - 5 - Same old. Runs like a mad dog. Archaic managers love it. Does very little to help the team for most portions of the game but pops up with good assist to stay in the team. In the long run, players like him would be exposed.

Sharp - 5 - At least you can see him working hard and caring for the team. Can't help but think how good he can be if we feed him in the right areas and bring him to life. A different player in the final 3rd.

Smith - 6.5 - I liked him vs Bradford. For a change I thought his all round game was good. It helped that he had Norris and Sharp running around - he found them well - he held the ball well and he put himself in 3 goal scoring positions - scored 1. Honest effort. Well done.

I for one didn't understand Hockaday's tactics. No idea why he went for a flat midfield when Ajose, Mowatt, Dawson etc are crying for a run out in this team. This game would have been ideal to give them a go but I guess he stuck with senior players to keep his job. Too bad they failed him and he's lost it now.

We seem to see things the same way, especially regarding Cooper and Bianchi.
Both are comfortable with the ball and have an awareness of what is going on around them. The players around them, unfortunately, are doing them no favours IMO