Unofficial Leeds United - Home

Visit the Chatroom

Skygod
Another snippet of news is that Leeds are being advised on football matters by (among others) Graham Bean, the ex-FA compliance officer.

Who is Bean and why would he be involved in our Club?

[4603730122_e61e98a85b_z] 

A Detective Constable with South Yorkshire Police for 18 years who then took up a position in the FA as their first 'Compliance Officer' which lasted for four and a half years.

It is no secret that Bean - tagged the "bung buster" by the media - crossed swords with several colleagues at Soho Square as his time there approached an end, but such is the nature of the man that he refuses to divulge the inner secrets he obtained from the organisation.

As a result of his investigative prowess, Boston were docked four points and fined £100,000 for making out-of- contract payments to players. Steve Evans, manager at the time, was banned from football for a record 20 months. Chesterfield were docked nine points and heavily fined in the wake of financial irregularities, and a handful of Leicester players were nailed over the match-ticket scandal before the 1999 Worthington Cup final with Tottenham.

Even the England captain David Beckham failed to escape Bean's clutches. He was warned as to his future conduct in 2000 after giving Leeds supporters a V-sign. Paolo Di Canio was also a regular visitor to Bean's office in London.

More recently Bean has spent months investigating corruption allegations against football agents, John Gregory's transfer dealings at Aston Villa and the role in the game of Proactive sports agency.

"For the last two years of the job I was working on protracted investigations which took me all over the world. This involved clandestine meetings. At various times only a few people knew where I was and what I was doing.

"I know it sounds exciting and top secret, but the truth is that this sort of work can't be rectified with a quick fix.

"I'm a foot-in-the-door type of person. Someone who is blunt and gets results by doing it that way, but it may be they [the FA] think that will not be the right approach for someone new. I don't know, I never discussed it with them. There is a genuine feeling that football does need someone with a robust and investigative attitude.

"When I first started the job I saw and learned a few things that made me surprised. But you get more cynical.

"I know better than most how the disciplinary procedure works, after all.

"There will always be a need for my services because footballers, managers, directors and clubs will always be, at some stage, in breach of the rules of the FA."

Source

Bean then formed his own consultancy company Football Factors and had a number of high profile clients (Clubs and individuals), however this company went into administration in 2011 and was finally dissolved on 6th September 2013 after representing Thurrock in a dispute at the end of July (which they lost), although the Football Factors Website is still online. When the company went into administration, its assets were listed as “its key personnel, namely the Directors and their intrinsic relationships with select clients” and fixtures and fittings, which were described as “two computers and an aged filing cabinet”, which the Administrators described as being of “no realisable value.”

Its creditors, were Lloyds TSB, a Director’s loan of £38,590, various trade creditors to the tune of £6,037.85, VAT of £3,024.24 and PAYE and National Insurance of £21,131.53.

Source

What I find strange is the LinkedIn entries for Bean which has been updated recently still lists Football Factors as a going concern.

Owner
Football Factors
September 2003 – Present (10 years 10 months) Barnsley

Conducting high quality representation for football participants in respect of regulatory matters and employment issues. Also fully conversant with all football Rules and Regulations and advisor to many participants and Clubs on all football related subjects. Often used by the media for expert analysis on disciplinary issues.

Continually seeking new opportunities and challenges to enhance services to clients and develop own career

Consultant
Leeds United Football Club
May 2014 – Present (2 months) Leeds, United Kingdom

Currently advising and assisting Leeds United FC in Football Administration, Governance, and Regulatory Issues covering all aspects of close and pre season matters

Consultant
Mishcon de Reya
July 2013 – Present (1 year) London, United Kingdom

Working on a consultancy basis with Mishcon de Reya assisting in development of their sports department.

FootballFactors uses a Twitter account to rant about the FA and the PL referees as well as promoting newsletters ( e.g. http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=a29d634afec25b546abb7fe74&id=6af28e5365 ) which have continued since the dissolution of the company.

@FootballFactors Football Factors represents some of the biggest names in the game in disciplinary cases before the FA and ALWAYS have something controversial to say!

Whilst I fully support a thorough top to bottom cleaning of LUFC, I'm certainly getting uneasy about some of the individuals being associated with the Club. (Just natural LUFC supporter paranoia I guess)

Post Whore & Best Newcomer - ULUFC Annual Awards 2013/14

Post Whore & Best Researcher - ULUFC Annual Awards 2014/15
Tony Currie10
I'm sure Mr Bean is the right man for our club....
2020 MONEY MAN CHAMPION

FISHCURRIE PROMOTIONS WORLD CUP 2018 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....

GLENN HODDLE IS THE FUTURE....

LAST MAN STANDING WINNER 2018
EURO U.21's 2017 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
DIMNEST POSTER 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020....
EURO 2016 SWEEPSTAKE WINNER....
3rd PLACE WITH HOLLAND IN ULUFC WORLD CUP SWEEPSTAKE 2014....
JOINT WEIRDEST POSTER 2014....I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me....I think
LUID
The SPA was unkind to MC by all accounts - the sooner he can find a way to replace GFH's remaining participation in LUFC the better off we will be.
Skygod
LUID wrote:
The SPA was unkind to MC by all accounts - the sooner he can find a way to replace GFH's remaining participation in LUFC the better off we will be.

To be fair, he did sign the damn thing.
Post Whore & Best Newcomer - ULUFC Annual Awards 2013/14

Post Whore & Best Researcher - ULUFC Annual Awards 2014/15
Lord Snoddy Weather Man
Tony Currie10 wrote:
I'm sure Mr Bean is the right man for our club....

Without a doubt TC, he could team up with Frank Spencer and we will be complete.
World  Champion