Unofficial Leeds United - Home

Visit the Chatroom

rinner
imo far too many yellow cards being dished out for run of the mill fouls . its spoiling our game and as we've seen totally killing  games including recent champions league games. its time they introduced the sin bin before the red card . i.e.   
1 yellow card 
2 sin bin say 10 mins
3 red card
this might help any thoughts
Quote
LUdacris
I agree, it's a man's game and contact sport although you wouldn't think it at times.
[ulufc_banner_2018] 

Your 365 days-a-year, 24/7 moderator...unless it's Christmas
...or New Year...or Bank Holiday...or a weekend, then I'm outta here.
Quote
willow
Interesting how different supporters view the game.

I hear what you are saying about some yellow cards - but in general I blame the players lock stock and barrel.

They have a huge responsibility - and they constantly p-iss it up the wall - showing neither understanding, respect nor sportsmanship. £300k per week?? Why the hell should they - with an impotent FA, UEFA and FIFA who do not have a pair of testicles between them.

Player's do not respond to referee's who try to keep the game flowing etc - they merely take advantage. They pull, tug, push, grab, dive, cheat and argue with everyone in their line of vision at every  turn. If they applied the same rules they apply (quite rightly) outside the box - they could (should) send 3/4 defenders off at every corner/fre -kick. As Jimmy Armfield said at the week-end it is now destroying the game and is solely down to the weakness of the authjorities. Ther, as he said, frightened of the over paid, over pampered prima donnas. I would send most of them off far quicker than most refs do in all honesty. I do not therefore attach much blame on the referres  - though, like any profession, there are very good ones and very poor ones. Consistent ones and inconsidtent ones.

Managers are pathetic too IMO. Pellegrini suggesting that the Swedish ref favoured Barca was pathetic. City were played off the park IMO. Wenger thought it wasn't a penalty and that Arsenal could have been 3-0 up before Bayern threatened?? He has the worst case of tunnel vision in Europe - now that Ferguson has retired.

I believe that if players/managers were dealt with effectively and consistently - they would quickly get the message. In the interim, managers and supporters will continue to use the referee as an object of choice when looking to divert responsibility, performance and inability to show respect and humility.
      
Quote
stevethemouse
i think a ruel change is in order in netball and basketball if a defender holds his ground and an attacker runs into him/her its the defenders ball this would imo stop all this trailing leg lark and keep them on their feet
Quote
Daniel2
To stop this all you need to do is enforce the rules as they are written. The referee have the power to do this. It is simple. If a rule change was to come in I would like to see the rule that if a player requires treatment then must leave the field for 10 minutes (no exception) and if a player back chats the referee straight yellow card (Rooney will be sent off every game).
Quote
Skygod
Daniel2 wrote:
if a player requires treatment then must leave the field for 10 minutes (no exception)


If the goalkeeper is involved in a collision with either another player or the goalpost and needs to be checked out, he has to go off?

If a player gets fouled and needs treatment, he has to go off but the offender stays on?



Maybe if clubs were to introduce big fines to players for needless yellow cards received for dissent and timewasting, that would be a start.
Post Whore & Best Newcomer - ULUFC Annual Awards 2013/14

Post Whore & Best Researcher - ULUFC Annual Awards 2014/15
Quote
LUdacris
I find someone who pretends to have been smacked in the mush much more distasteful than a player actually smacking someone round the chops. That could be the Seacroft in me.
[ulufc_banner_2018] 

Your 365 days-a-year, 24/7 moderator...unless it's Christmas
...or New Year...or Bank Holiday...or a weekend, then I'm outta here.
Quote
rinner
another one that really makes me mad is the pulling and holding from corners when did this start was never like that years ago . anyone with a hold of an opponent  including shirt the ref should award a foul ,  of which some will be penalties that would stamp it out . no need for yellow cards !
Quote
leeds darn sarf
I like the idea of the sin bin, it would give the 4th official something to look after and maybe players would refrain from acting.  Personally I'm in favour of independent timekeepers, so the ref just officiates the game not the match time although the ref would need to indicate when the clock is stopped/started for an injury etc  and or for all the fckuing around whilst building walls at free kicks but he can do that weither by hand signal [wave] or radio mic. The remaining match time should be displayed for all to see.

I would also increase the subs allowed from 3 to 4.

   [leeds_united] 
Quote
EL KIWIPETE
ludy---[lol]------------how about a 3rd umpire for all bookings--and to send off the cheating diving cnuts--i would be ace at thaT

             
  PROUD TO BE BORN IN HOLBECK--VINTAGE 1959

Quote
Batfastard
Points deductions when certain number of yellow/red cards are reached
Batfastard of Wakefield - the REAL Burger King



Better a pig, than a pygmy.

Mary rape is real rape. 
Quote
EL KIWIPETE
yellow cards for time wasting cnuts in corners at the end of the game--we should be having these cnuts testicles tasered in public---good deterent-

             
  PROUD TO BE BORN IN HOLBECK--VINTAGE 1959

Quote
rinner
sin bin them for time wasting not cards
Quote
Daffs
How about players actually fckin manning up instead of diving around like fannies as soon as they are touched, and running up to refs demanding players should be carded.....soft cnuts these days.
Quote
willow
Batfastard wrote:
Points deductions when certain number of yellow/red cards are reached


Good idea. That might focus managers/owners minds - as would a few referees/the FA actually enforcing the rules at corners/free kicks into the box.

As Rinner suggests this is something rotten that has been allowed to creep into the game - and literally stops me watching matches. I simply can't stomach these imbeciles in Black watching a wrestling match in the area and then just walking across and telling them to stop it - following which they carry on as normal at every corner/free kick for the rest of the game. Slight nudge outside the box - free kick!!

European games are an absolute joke - as evidenced by that game at Parkhead - and I am absolutely certain, given the ease with which every defender grabs and holds, that the instruction comes from above.

Diving should not be a yellow card - should be straight off IMO. Let'ssee the managers telling them to go down when they are playing with 9 men every week.
      
Quote
White In Exile
rinner wrote:
another one that really makes me mad is the pulling and holding from corners when did this start was never like that years ago . anyone with a hold of an opponent  including shirt the ref should award a foul ,  of which some will be penalties that would stamp it out . no need for yellow cards !

Agreed. It makes me mad watching the shenanigans in the box. a pull is a pull = a foul ...so why don't the refs call it? Its not like they cant see it. Easy to fix this. Call it consistently and sin bin instantly would sort that out the game would be much better and fairer.
Sadly the tw@ts running the game are a bunch of self-serving jobsworth eunuchs so I cant see it happenning.
Quote
Fruity_Frain
My opinion is that the refs are becoming too soft. That being said, the players now play to make the most of that. It takes the p!ss how easily players go down, but they only go down because they know they will get the decision which is imo down to the referees.

What really bothers me is the game played inside the box. Players are less physical on the box, but have more leeway. Outside the box, anything is given. I tend to find that referees only give decisions when they are expected. Ie, if they can get away with making a decision, or get away with ignoring it, that factors more than it should in their decisions.
[mj0ep3]

We're all Leeds aren't we??
Quote
Sir Rob Vegetable

The way to sort all of this is to leave the game as it is today on the field - but completely overhaul it off the field with judiciary panel going over every Championship and Premiership game.

We need to ban players from the NEXT game, rather than get get them sent off in the current game - as 11 v 11 is what people want to see.

People say that referees have to deal with what they see on the field - that's actually a huge part of the problem and not part of the solution, as it means players know the only person they have to fool is the referee - it doesn't matter if something is plain as can be to cameras and experts, as long as the referee is duped then good job.

For me a panel should watch the game and show the times where someone has been wrestled to the ground in the box outside of refs vision, or play acting, or leaving the elbow in, and say "sorry - you can't do that, you're banned from the next game"... and let the referee just worry about the basic principles of the game and not all this fuss outside of it.

For me, all of these would trigger immediate one match bans:-
  • Lashing out, leaving trailing elbows, tripping players off the ball (like what Nugent did to Pearce)..
  • Spitting at other players
  • Wrestling players to the ground when defending/attacking corners 
  • Playacting if you PRETEND that someone has done one of the above, but hasn't - like the Andy Carroll / Flores thing the other day

The only way to cure the game, is to show that EVERYTHING has repercussions and that 'the truth comes out'....  you'd then see players knowing they've got no choice but to play within the rules
Quote
BB
Sir Rob Vegetable wrote:

The way to sort all of this is to leave the game as it is today on the field - but completely overhaul it off the field with judiciary panel going over every Championship and Premiership game.

We need to ban players from the NEXT game, rather than get get them sent off in the current game - as 11 v 11 is what people want to see.

People say that referees have to deal with what they see on the field - that's actually a huge part of the problem and not part of the solution, as it means players know the only person they have to fool is the referee - it doesn't matter if something is plain as can be to cameras and experts, as long as the referee is duped then good job.

For me a panel should watch the game and show the times where someone has been wrestled to the ground in the box outside of refs vision, or play acting, or leaving the elbow in, and say "sorry - you can't do that, you're banned from the next game"... and let the referee just worry about the basic principles of the game and not all this fuss outside of it.

For me, all of these would trigger immediate one match bans:-
  • Lashing out, leaving trailing elbows, tripping players off the ball (like what Nugent did to Pearce)..
  • Spitting at other players
  • Wrestling players to the ground when defending/attacking corners 
  • Playacting if you PRETEND that someone has done one of the above, but hasn't - like the Andy Carroll / Flores thing the other day

The only way to cure the game, is to show that EVERYTHING has repercussions and that 'the truth comes out'....  you'd then see players knowing they've got no choice but to play within the rules


Totally agree Rob!!

Everyone knows each Prem game and indeed each Championship game will be covered by numerous cameras. Players knowing their actions will be scrutinised will make them change habits.

Apart from the many things above, I hate it when players go down injured to stop the flow of play and the momentum of the other team.
BB
Quote
Daffs
I think goalkeepers are over protected too
Quote
rinner
sir rob banning players from the next game won't work for me the offender has to be punished on the spot, or i think players would take one for the team and miss the next game.so in effect teams with larger or better squads would have an advantage.  sin bin them works in rugby 
Quote
Skygod
Just having referees enforce the existing rules / laws would be the good.

Having players aware that the rules are going to be enforced would also be a positive.

Changing the Rules / Laws would be difficult.
Post Whore & Best Newcomer - ULUFC Annual Awards 2013/14

Post Whore & Best Researcher - ULUFC Annual Awards 2014/15
Quote
Sir Rob Vegetable
rinner wrote:
sir rob banning players from the next game won't work for me the offender has to be punished on the spot, or i think players would take one for the team and miss the next game.so in effect teams with larger or better squads would have an advantage.  sin bin them works in rugby 



But then you're back to how to slow down the game enough so everything can be assessed right there and then... which spoils the game, and the argument goes back full circle.

I think we all just have to accept that some things will be missed in the game, and sweep everything else up afterwards - maybe even the same referee themselves is part of that review / judiciary process...


I hear what you're saying about "taking one for the team" - so the solution is surely gently increase the bans for repeat offenders... 1 game for first offence, then 2 games for repeated offenders, 3 games etc....


Are you telling me that someone who play acts to get someone sent off but then misses the next 2 games themselves is "getting away with it?" as it would seem pretty dammn fair to me...

I can't imagine professional players thinking with full confidence that action will be taken afterwards that "if i can get that opposing player off the field for the remaining 60 minutes of this game, then that's worth me not being eligible to play in the next 180 minutes for my team"?

People do it now because they know they personally won't face any action.
Quote
rinner
don't see how sending a player to the sin bin slows the game down . 
Quote
Sir Rob Vegetable
rinner wrote:
don't see how sending a player to the sin bin slows the game down . 


Because it relies on the referee having to see every incident, which is part of the problem - they don't.

Also, it becomes far more tactical than it needs to be - players will take one for the team if they know they'll be back on in 20mins

Also, i think that it means more players will spend more time off the field so will play 10 v 10, 9 v 11 etc for some parts of some games.... i don't think anyone wants that.
Quote
Kevsandhurst
What ever next, Power plays 0 0
Quote